How do I clean an old brass candle stick holder?

+3
  • Janice Janice on Apr 11, 2018
    Depending on what is adhered to the holder...if wax, place the holder in your freezer for an hour or so and then any wax can easily be scraped off. You can then clean the entire holder with ketchup up out of your refrigerator. Slather on a good amount all over the holder, let set for 5-10 minutes and then wash it all off with a hot soapy cloth, then clear water, and dry. It should look great!

• Dissolve a teaspoon of salt in a half cup of vinegar. Add flour to make a paste and rub on candlestick. Wait about 10-15 minutes and rinse and rub dry.
    Tarn-X also makes a product for brass.

• Ken Erickson Ken Erickson on Apr 11, 2018
    I would do nothing to it if it is a valuable antique - you may diminish its value. Brasso was my go to brass cleaning product prior to inspections when I was in the Navy. I have heard that lemons can be used, but don't try it until someone else has that remedy.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Apr 11, 2018
    plain white toothpaste

• Elizabeth Davis Elizabeth Davis on Apr 11, 2018
    Thanks everyone! I’ll let you know the outcome!

• Mary Ann Mary Ann on Sep 17, 2018

Ketchup worked for me. I used toothpaste on silver.