How do you clean pueter?

+3
  • Dfm Dfm on Apr 02, 2018
    to clean pewter the metal? I just give it a good wipping down.It has a lot of not so good lead in it.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Apr 02, 2018
    Try plain original type toothpaste, no gel or additives like baking soda, etc. and a rag with a little water. It should clean it up really well.

• Betsy Betsy on Apr 03, 2018
    I'd use a little Dawn dish washing detergent and some warm water. If it has sticky areas, use an old toothbrush to clean that and into the nooks and crannies, being very gentle so as not to scratch the piece. Dry well and put back on display:) The definition I got for Pewter is: "Pewter is a malleable metal alloy. It is traditionally composed of 85–99% tin, mixed with copper, antimony, bismuth, and sometimes lead, although the use of lead is less common today. Silver is also sometimes used." Just type in Pewter in the search engine and you will come up with a lot of information about Pewter. You can even polish Pewter, but why one would want shiny Pewter is beyond me. Here's what I found on how to do it: "For polished pewter, use a solution of warm water and dish washing liquid to gently remove any dirt from the pewter piece, then rinse it carefully and dry it with a soft cloth. You can also use a mixture of one cup of vinegar and half a cup of flour to clean polished pewter."

• Bill Irwin Bill Irwin on Apr 03, 2018
    Do you mean pewter an alloy of tin, copper, and some other metals? If so you can use Braso or some other commercial cleaning agents. There are some other home grown concoctions; "google pewter cleaning". It depends on how dirty or oxidized the pewter is. I have seen it buffed with a soft stationary buffing wheel using coarse rubbing compound then finer and finer rubbing compound