How do you get old old wallpaper off of walls or cover up tricks?

+4
  • Steaming has always been my preferred method.

https://www.lowes.com/projects/paint-stain-and-wallpaper/remove-old-wallpaper/project

To cover you can use beadboard, paneling. If you want to paint, the wallpaper must come down first.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Feb 27, 2019

Peel as much as possible from the walls.

If you can't get to the backing, you may need to score the paper with a tool. Paper Tiger is easy to find. Light pressure because you don't want to damage the wall behind the paper.

Mix 50/50 fabric softener & warm water in a spray bottle or garden sprayer. I've read that vinegar is as effective but I have never used it.

Allow the mixture to sit for 5 - 10 minutes so that it saturates the adhesive on the paper backing.

Scrape with a plastic scraper.

Once it is all removed, wash the walls with warm soapy water (blue Dawn is my go-to) and a microfiber cloth.

• See 1 previous
    • Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Mar 04, 2019

Steam didn’t work for me but I’ve heard vinegar and warm water will work as well. I always put s towel down to catch the excess run off.

• Betsy Betsy on Feb 27, 2019

Hi Chris: Strangely enough, liquid fabric softener works on removing wall paper. If you can get one of those Paper Tigers - it's a little tool that puts holes in the paper so that the liquid can get in and behind the paper, that would help. Just stir 1 cap-full liquid softener into 1 quart (1 liter) water and sponge the solution onto the wallpaper. Let it soak in for 20 minutes, then scrape the paper from the wall. If the wallpaper has a water-resistant coating, score it with a wire-bristle brush before treating with the fabric softener solution. Or, you can mix equal parts vinegar and warm water in a spray bottle or bucket and apply the mixture to the wallpaper liberally. Allow it to soak in for 15 minutes. Then use a scraper to remove the wallpaper. It should come off easily if you've used enough of your remover.

I would only use a plastic scraper (putty knife) to do the scraping so that you don't gouge the wall. Be really careful as the wall will be moist.

Good luck

• Wanda cooper Wanda cooper on Mar 04, 2019

Peel off the vinyl layer that has the pattern on it, get a spray bottle and fill it with as hot of water as you can get from the tap...mines about 130 degrees. Spray a 3x3 section really good....soak it for a few min...then start scraping with a plastic putty knife...it will come right off...IF you did a proper prime before you put it up..if you didnt....im sorry for you.

• Maynard Maynard on Mar 05, 2019

There is a tool called a paper tiger, which you roll around freehand on the wallpaper and it delivers mini-perforations into the wallpaper. Next, mix up some wallpaper paste remover, put it into a pressure sprayer, the type usually used to spray weeds, and spray the wall. saturate the paper, it will find its way into the perforations and loosen the bond. Wait about 20 minutes before trying to peel the wallpaper off the wall.

I dont understand "cover up tricks", is that something you are dealing with or something you want to do?

Alternative to the paper tiger method, you may be able to rent a wallpaper steamer. Hot, messy, but faster than the first method.