How to get musty smell out of books

+5
I have a ton of craft books, but unfortunately they were in a room where the floor was built above a natural spring. The floor caved in, and all the books now have a musty smell. Is there anything I can do to get rid of this smell? I would hate to see them all be ruined because of it.

• Li Li on Dec 10, 2017
    try putting them i a large container with a box of baking soda or charcoal. Make sure the charcoal is wrapped lightly in paper towel so as to not mark the books. Spread them out as much as possible. May not be able to do all at once, depending on how many you have. They also sell something called Damp rid that might work.

• Place the books in large trash bags. Then place a bowl of charcoal in with the books. Close up with twist ties. Check after a week or so. Depending on how musty they are, might need longer time.

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Dec 10, 2017
    I've had some success in the past, drying them out in the sun, open, and then putting them in a container with a bag of bamboo charcoal. I've tried dryer sheets, also, but, it only masks the smell.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 10, 2017
    Use baking soda,cedar chips,or deactivated charchol

• Carol Carol on Dec 10, 2017
    Open book at middle spine place in a plastic box with rice mixed with baking soda close and leave for about a week. You can even place some throughout books if you like.

• Dorinda Dorinda on Dec 10, 2017
    Thank you all for your help. I have probably 1000 books, some are instruction pamphlets, so sounds like this is going to take some time to get them all, but they are well worth the effort.

• Terry Terry on Dec 10, 2017
    If your book is mold and mildew free but still has a smell to it, you can sprinkle baking soda in a sealed container or bag and place the book inside for a couple of hours. The baking soda is quite effective at absorbing the scent. Activated charcoal can be substituted in this step. Again, repeat as necessary.