How to get rust off scissors?

+8
Pair of scissors was left outside in grass during Michigan winter. When found in spring full of rust. They still cut well but how do I remove the rust and make scissors look good again.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Feb 21, 2017
    Rub wd 40 on them

• Debra Moler Debra Moler on Feb 21, 2017
    Soak them in white vinegar overnight.

• William William on Feb 21, 2017
    Soak them on vinegar. Wipe them down with a cloth. Use some fine steel wool and WD40 to remove the rust. Wipe them down as you rub to remove the rust.

• Hillela G. Hillela G. on Feb 21, 2017
    Saok in vinegar has worked for me!

• Shoshana Shoshana on Feb 22, 2017
    Vinegar usually works for me as well! I've also used a baking powder-lemon juice paste to get rid of rust. That requires leaving it on the scissors for about an hour or two before wiping off.

• Dfm Dfm on Feb 22, 2017
    cutting thru sand paper will help clean the blades of the scissors, and make them a bit sharper

• Wester Potter Wester Potter on Feb 22, 2017
    Put them in a tray and cover them with molasses. Car guys clean whole car bodies this way using dry molasses you buy at the farm store and mixing it with water.

• Mac6231 Mac6231 on Feb 26, 2017
    If they are cheap scissors throw them away and buy a quality product

• Joan Joan on Feb 27, 2017
    Definitely vinegar and to sharpen scissors, cut through a few folded sheets of aluminum foil

• Carey Carey on Feb 27, 2017
    I scrubbed mine with steel wool and water (vinegar helps too) dry thoroughly, can put in a low temp oven just long enough to dry or use hair dryer! Then rub them down with Mineral oil. It will keep them from rusting again. I periodically rub mineral oil on the sisors that I have that tend to rust to prevent the problem.

• Ori7488049 Ori7488049 on Mar 09, 2017
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I did soak them in vinegar overnight and then with a little scrubbing was able to remove most of the rust. Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Carol