Asked on Sep 05, 2017

I have rust near the overflow hole on my bathroom sink. How do I fix ?

by Yofrendonna
  18 answers
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Sep 05, 2017

    Try making a paste of cream of tartar and lemon into a paste and apply to the rust.

  • Sandra Shea Sandra Shea on Sep 05, 2017

    use light sandpaper to smooth and pull up some of the discoloration then spray with enamel paint for car repair. Be careful to match the "white" color of your sink.

  • Jane Briggs Jane Briggs on Sep 05, 2017

    You can use naval gel to remove the rust and then lightly sand the edge and use sink and appliance touch up epoxy paint. Should last 3-5 years. Repeat same if it returns.

  • Joe29668554 Joe29668554 on Sep 05, 2017

    Share your thoughts!Use Mr. Clean magic eraser.

  • Karen Krysowaty Karen Krysowaty on Sep 05, 2017

    I would clean the area well then lightly sand and use the proper paint that you can purchase at the nearby paint or home improvement store

  • Nancy Wilson Nancy Wilson on Sep 05, 2017

    Check with your hardware store for a rustoleum product just right for enamel/cast iron tubs and sinks. Sand to remove the rust and paint over it. Easy and less expensive than replacing the sink.

  • Clean it, CLR works great for me.

    • Yofrendonna Yofrendonna on Sep 05, 2017

      I have cleaned it. I clean my sinks daily and thoroughly every Saturday. It’s not soil. It’s rust. CLR and rust remover doesn’t work. I will sandpaper and refinish

  • Rik29402131 Rik29402131 on Sep 06, 2017

    Use liquid CLR (Calcium Lime Rust) remover from any home improvement center with an abrasive pad or steel wool. When finished use either white nail polish or clear if you can't get it to match. It will stop it from re-rusting for a long time.

  • Janet AF Janet AF on Sep 06, 2017

    Navel gelly is good and sanding it with wet dry automotive paper all the way into the lip of the overflow as far as you can. When painting take a small artist brush and try to paint over the lip into the overflow void to help keep it brom coming back . Best of luck, with results.

  • Rik29402131 Rik29402131 on Sep 06, 2017

    No problem, sometimes it's the little things that can make all the difference and usually be sitting right there around us.

  • David McIntosh David McIntosh on Sep 06, 2017

    Steel wool to clean off the rust to get a clean metal surface... then use the porcelain repair paint to touch up the effected area. You can spray it 1st with a rust inhibiting primer first... just tape off the area to prevent overspray.

    I recommend using Rust-Oleum 7860519 Tub and Tile Refinishing 2-Part Kit, White

    comment photo
  • Dina Dina on Sep 07, 2017

    Sand spot. Then use White-Out, a liquid corrector that is used for typed mistakes. Staples should have it in different colors.

    • Yofrendonna Yofrendonna on Sep 09, 2017

      Thank you Dina. Ive tried this. white Out washes away quickly. I need something more permanent

  • Dina Dina on Sep 09, 2017

    never happened to me.

  • Jane E. Jane E. on Sep 09, 2017

    Whink Rust Remover will remove it quickly

  • Castrang17 Castrang17 on Sep 12, 2017

    Epoxy paint.

  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jan 19, 2018

    WD-40 will get rid of rust. then seal otherwise it will return. Rustoleum or Hammerite will cover Rust.

  • Cyn Cyn on Feb 25, 2022

    There is probably rust in the water sitting in the overflow and it keeps leaking out the hole. Use a squeeze bottle with some vinegar or other rust cleaner to flush out the rusty water then you can touch up with appliance spray paint or something like that.

  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Apr 16, 2023

    You could use WD40 to remove the rust, but it will still leave you with a damaged and worn surface in that area. I think I would replace the sink or find a way to cover the area. Maybe a plastic cover stuck in place or even paint that area using a rust covering paint such as Rustoleum?