What is the best way to clean and shine granite countertops??

+6
  • Debbie Debbie on Dec 18, 2017
    I use vinegar and water 1/3 vinegar two thirds water. I mix it in a spray bottle and use it when I need it

• See 3 previous
    • William William on Dec 19, 2017
      Papoose03 is right. DO NOT USE VINEGAR!!! Even diluted!!!

• Charly Charly on Dec 19, 2017
    Use alcohol and water. Half and half mixture. After washing my counters I then spray on the alcohol mix, wipe with a paper towel and they shine and gleam like new.

• William William on Dec 19, 2017
    Marble, granite, and stone do NOT like having acidic (ie: citrus-based) cleaners used on them. Citrus or vinegar will actually cause “etching” on granite countertops. Not a good thing. Granite countertops also don’t like it when you use something like Windex on them because it strips the “seal” off of the stone.

If you are trying to remove an old stain, create a dense paste of more baking soda and less water. Then place the paste over the stain, allowing it to function for a few minutes. After that wipe off the baking soda paste. If it is needed you can repeat the procedure until the stain vanishes.

Apparently there are some very nice countertop/granite cleaners out there that do a great job…but $7.00 for a 12-ounce bottle? YOU can do better than that! :-)

After researching several homemade options out there…I discovered they all had the same basic ingredients…just in varying amounts. Some had a LOT of alcohol in them…some very little. I think the following “recipe” has a good balance of the ingredients, based on the information I read.

Homemade Granite Cleaner, 1/4 cup of rubbing alcohol (or cheap vodka), 3 drops of Dawn or other dish soap (Castile soap would also be a good alternative if you prefer), Water, 5-10 drops essential oil (optional – to help mask the alcohol smell).

Put the rubbing alcohol or vodka into a 16 oz spray bottle. Add the dish soap, essential oil and fill up the rest of the bottle with water.

Now give it a few shakes….THEN give it a try! It should give your countertops a nice, clean shine. Works on appliances too! All at a FRACTION of the price of the store-bought stuff.

• Patsy House Holden Patsy House Holden on Dec 19, 2017
    I use 1/4 cup of rubbing alcohol, 3 drops of dawn, 2 cups of water and 5 or 6 drops of essential oil in a spray bottle and it works great. I buff with a clean cloth and my counters shine like new.