What can I use to clean the drain in my sink?

+3
  • I flush baking soda down the all drains and toilets once a month.

• Stephen Justin Stephen Justin on Jun 16, 2019

Maryellen, If your sink is draining slow, do not be intimidated by the thought of disassembling the P trap. Pouring chemicals down the drain to break up the clog sometimes, but if there's quantities of hair or inorganic material causng the issue, you'll empty a bottle of drain opener with no results. Simply place a catch basin under the work area and undo the plastic (or metallic) compression nuts. Some may require the use of an adjustable wrench (channel lock or similar), but take the trap apart, empty into garbage and reassemble! It can only go back together one way, being sure you have the compression rings in place. If you have a compression ring that appears disfigured or cracked, replace it with a new one.

• Cindy Cindy on Jun 16, 2019

Hi Maryellen. I'm Cindy. Begin by flushing a large pan of boiling water down your drain. Follow that with half a cup of baking soda. Then pour a half cup of white vinegar in the drain. Wait at least ten minutes. The mixture will fizz and bubble during this time. And last, follow with another large pan of boiling water. Good luck Maryellen.

• Ellis Ellis on Jun 20, 2019

I just want to add a caution: If you have plastic drain pipes, don't pour boiling water down the drain. The plumber told me that this can damage your drain pipe. If you must pour boiling hot water down the drain (draining spaghetti, etc.) run some cold water at the same time. Hot water is okay, but not boiling.

• Claire Claire on Jun 19, 2019

I use 1 cup baking soda 1 cup white vinegar wait 5 mins then follow with 2 cups boiling hot water...do this every month.

• Betsy Betsy on Jun 29, 2019

Hi Mary Ellen: Get some really hot water and run it down the drain. This will help remove bacteria and food particles that lodge in the drain. Take baking soda and pour a teaspoonful down the drain to help remove the smell. Meanwhile, do not stop pouring the hot water. If something is lodged in there, you can add some vinegar after the baking soda, cover the opening tightly for about 10 minutes and then pour really hot water down the drain. Sometimes food will make a metallic smell. Also, you can try rubbing down your sink with a cut lemon to minimize the smell. Like Ellis said, boiling water isn't good for the PVC pipes, but o.k. for metal pipes. Just use hot water to be safe:) Good luck