Help needed stat

+8

My daughter is renting this ancient apartment and she has one of these 70s woven basket looking globe shades wondering if anybody had any ideas on how to update this look without doing any electrical

q help needed stat

Reminds me of my childhood

• William William on Apr 23, 2020

Drape some lace scarves or fabric it. Can't do too much without landlord permission in writing

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com FrugalFamilyTimes.com on Apr 23, 2020

Could she spray paint it? Would the landlord be ok with that?

• Wil L Wil L on Apr 24, 2020

Probably not. I was thinking just replace the shade but I can’t find a shade for a globe that big. She can put the old one back on

when she moves out

• Betsy Betsy on Apr 23, 2020

Hi Wil: If it's her shade, she can spray paint it, add artificial flowers to the weaving or glue on some new binding where the old binding is. Also, she may be able to get a new fancier bulb :) Also, she can just unscrew the bulb, remove it and the shade and replace it with something she likes. If the unit came with the apartment, put it in a box for safekeeping until she moves, then she can re-install it. Good luck

• Flipturn Flipturn on Apr 24, 2020

To remove this shade, the whole fixture may need to be disassembled first, which may require it to be removed from the ceiling mount.

My suggestion to 'change' the fixture is to replace the existing bulb with an LED bulb. As least the light coming from the fixture would then be clear and bright, and not so yellowy looking.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Apr 24, 2020

Hi there,

The above ideas are great, I would have written them myself had I been first, but if you feel you are stuck with this fitting, like it or not, then why not hang things from it Crystals, Beads, in fact anything that is not going to be too heavy to give it a different look. Have fun..........

• See 1 previous

Hello again Will,

Second hand markets, Thrift stores. eBay ,Amazon etc. Maybe someone nearby has something they are leaving on the kerbside?

Good luck!

• Em Em on Apr 24, 2020

Paint it with chalk paint. Add small crystals around the bottom. Remove the shade and basket completely and replace. Store the original one in a closet until she moves out then put it back up.

Not sure why this is stat though.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Apr 25, 2020

Without seeing a picture of the top of the shade, it is hard to say how easy the shade may be to remove,replace, then put back. Thus, my comment above.

• Dee Dee on Apr 14, 2021

I would replace the shade or paint it. Please post a picture of the top of the shade.