Do I have to remove paint from the floor before I tile the floor?

My question is on flooring. I had vinyl flooring throughout my kitchen,living rooms,bathrooms and hallways it began to tear so I took it all up and painted the floor. However the paint that a local hardware store turned out to be paint for the porch! So now I have bubbling paint coming up everywhere. I wouldn't like to put tile down but will I have to remove all the paint first? And what advice do you have on do it yourself tile? Please help me.

• Lori Verni-Fogarsi Lori Verni-Fogarsi on Aug 28, 2018

No you don’t have to remove all the paint. Just scrape off any spots that are so bubbled/peeled that they might make the surface unlevel. Then tile right over it.

• William William on Aug 28, 2018

What is the floor made of? Can't tile over wood.

• Deb K Deb K on Jan 09, 2022

Hello, no you don't have to, but you want to clean it up. Tile will stick to most rigid, level surfaces, including painted wood, provided the correct preparation work is done to ensure the adhesive or mortar will stick to the floor surface. Severely damaged or peeling paint should be removed completely, since it can lift, causing the entire installation to fail.

Hope this helps you out