Can I over winter geraniums out side in zone 6?

+3
  • Rose Broadway Rose Broadway on Dec 07, 2017
    You're in the same zone I am. I haven't tried saving Geraniums, but it would save buying new ones every year!

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 07, 2017
    Re-pot them in fresh soil,spray them down with horticultural oil,bring indoors and places in a bright location,water when dry to the touch

• 2dogal 2dogal on Dec 07, 2017
    I cover them at night - when it gets into the 30's. I don't wait until it freezes. They seem to overwinter OK.

• Christine P Christine P on Dec 07, 2017
    I guess it depends on how cold your area gets and the placement of them. Where I live, in Sussex County NJ, it gets in the teens and sometimes very close to zero. I tried once and it did not work for me so I just changed out the soil (don't want any hidden critters in the house) and kept them in a spare room by the window and they were fine. I did cut them back, also. You can try putting them on a porch in a corner with some breathable landscape fabric over them. Sometimes it's just easier to buy new every spring.

• Holly Kinchlea-Brown Holly Kinchlea-Brown on Dec 07, 2017
    no, you will need to bring them indoors if you plan to reuse them next year

• Sue Sue on Dec 08, 2017
    I've heard you can pull the out by the roots and put them in your covered window wells with some leaves; in spring replant and they should bloom . However I prefer to bring inside and put as is with pot in basement, and try to remember to water very lightly a few times over winter. Have had great luck that way.