Can mums survive the winter?

+3
  • Jan Jan on Jan 06, 2018
    Depends on what zone you live in. And the variety. Look on the tab when you purchase the plant about the zones.

• Depends on where you live and the type of mum. My friends in other states have had them covered in snow, come spring the lop off any remaining dead foliage and they pop right up. Do you know what zone you are in or type of mum?

• Kelly Groceman-Wiles Kelly Groceman-Wiles on Jan 06, 2018
    Yes, if they were “Hardy” type when you purchased them. Cut them back, water them and mulch over them pretty heavy to protect them from the extreme cold-snow. I have some In pots and I treat them the same but I bring them into the shed or garage For the winter.

• Judy Judy on Jan 06, 2018
    ONLY if they are Perinals. The annual mums will die within a season, for they are not made to stay and stay many seasons. Be wise as to which one you get., check all the paper work, or tags on the item. We know.

• Cindy Cindy on Jan 06, 2018
    Yes, Mums can survive through the winter. When spring arrives, and the frost is done, try cutting them back and clean up any debris. There's a good chance they survived. If they do survive, cut them back in the fall and cover with mulch. Hopefully, you will have them for many years. Good luck to you.

• Chubby58 Chubby58 on Jan 06, 2018
    Mine have always survived the winter, but I don't know about this year. It's been in the single digits every night and it usually isn't that cold for this long in Virginia.