Do I have to dig up elephant ear 'bulbs' for winter? East central Okla

+3
  • Rose Broadway Rose Broadway on Dec 09, 2017
    If it's a mild winter you don't have to, if it's severely cold you should dig them. Problem is, you never know what kind of Winter it will be! Here's what I do in Missouri. I have some planted almost right against the foundation that I never dig because the heat from the basement keeps them alive. The ones in my flower beds I also never dig, then if it's real cold and I lose them, I just go buy new ones. I'm kind of lazy that way.

• Thelma Travis Thelma Travis on Dec 10, 2017
    I agree......When living in Enid, OK I mulched my stuff heavily, preferrably after a warm day, they were always in the sun because the trees lost their leaves, so I am thinking the sun kept that ground warm enough....................But, If you are able and want to dig them and store them.............We are supposed to be extremely dry for the rest of this season here in Oklahoma................aargh!

• Rebecca Rebecca on Dec 10, 2017
    YES!

• Jhsh Jhsh on Dec 10, 2017
    We lived near Sallisaw, OK and never dug them up.

• Michelle Michelle on Dec 10, 2017
    When I lived in Tulsa I never dug mine up and they cam back each year & now living in Texas I don't even think about it.

• Donna mcnally Donna mcnally on Dec 11, 2017
    I live in Ohio gets below freezing in winter and my neighbors have this type of plant and they never dig it up it dies off on its own and comes back bigger every year.