Does anyone know the name of this wildflower?

+44
what is the name of this wildflower?
q does anyone know the name of this wildflower, gardening
  • Douglas Hunt Douglas Hunt on Sep 28, 2013
    It's very hard to tell from your photo, but I fear that may not be a wildflower but one of the most invasive plants around, purple loosestrife (Lythrum salicaria).

• Stephen Andrew Stephen Andrew on Sep 28, 2013
    I agree with Douglas. That stuff spreads so rapidly. Yet suburban landscapers continue to plant it everywhere!

• White Oak Studio Designs White Oak Studio Designs on Sep 28, 2013
    This is invasive loosestrife. VERY invasive. Not good. Pull it out if you can.

• Just call me Cheryl Just call me Cheryl on Sep 28, 2013
    It is actually on the noxious weed list. Kill it ASAP

• Linda Linda on Sep 28, 2013
    I plant flowers native to New Jersey. I like this weed. I have a large area that I let go wild for the birds, bees and and bugs. The wild eastern turkeys and my free range chickens enjoy all the bugs that the wild native flowers attract to this part of my farmette. The seed heads provide food for wintering birds too.

• Nancy ONeil Nancy ONeil on Sep 29, 2013
      @Linda This is an invasive weed that is killing off native species of plant - it is also poisonous to some animals - please get rid of it

• Tanya Peterson Felsheim Tanya Peterson Felsheim on Sep 28, 2013
    Is this more invasive the more south you go? Wondering if the cold weather keeps it down some

• See 10 previous
    • Judy Judy on Oct 06, 2013
      @Tanya Peterson Felsheim My son lives in town too but we like it out here in the woods. Usually about 10 degrees cooler in the summer & warmer in the winter here because of all the trees & our proximity to the Applegate River.

• Meleasa Butler Meleasa Butler on Sep 28, 2013
    My mother always said "A weed is something that grows where you don't want it."

• Glenna Kennedy Glenna Kennedy on Sep 28, 2013
    It is indeed purple loosestrife and is a nasty one that chokes out all other vegetation but correct me if I am wrong..all you master gardeners..isn't there a flower that is non invasive that florists use alot of in bouquets that is very similar? I cant for the life of me remember the name. It is purple and looks almost exactly like loosestrife. Stephen I think that may be the one landscapers use because legally here they cannot plant anything invasive.

@Glenna Kennedy yes - the florist flower is liatrus and it does resemble this loosetrife

• TJ TJ on Sep 28, 2013
    @Linda @Meleasa Butler I too am a native plant gardener with over an acre that we call the "wild side" with many native prairie plants ..... BUT Purple Loosestrife is not native. It is native to Europe and Asia that came here spread through nurseries and home gardeners before people realized how fast it could take over entire wetlands. It takes over by crowding out native plants and has some native plant look-alikes that can be confusing. Very large sums of tax money is spent to control invasive plants like this and protect our own native plants. The more we become informed, knowledgeable gardeners, the more we can help curb the spread of out-of-control invasive plants. Sorry for the lecture but a neighbor thought Leafy Spurge was pretty even after I told her that it was considered a noxious weed. Now we have been battling this over-powering weed from taking over our property and have even been advised to sue them for the clean-up costs. As gardeners we can become part of the solution and not add to the problem. To me "Knowledge is powerful."

• Bea Bea on Sep 28, 2013
    Purple loosestrife is not native here in Michigan and is considered invasive because it overtakes and chokes out actual native plants, especially along our waterways. Locally, organizations have burned it out of marshes along with other invasive species such as reed canary grass and phragmites. It's a pretty plant to look at, but very destructive to the ecosystem.

• Bonnie Bassett Bonnie Bassett on Sep 28, 2013
    interesting and quite thorough you all have proven to be'-is any one aware of this weeds toxicity to domestic rabbits?

well, I can't pull it up it is down at the river and there is already tons of it ! I just think it is very beautiful to look at. Is it more invasive than other weeds like golden rod ? why is that so bad ?

• TJ TJ on Sep 29, 2013
      @Bonnie Bassett If you read my comment earlier I provided information on Purple Loosestrife. I checked on the NH Department of Agriculture for information and you might want to contact them to report the stand by your water. Many states list Purple Loosestrife as a noxious prohibited plant. On the other hand, Golden Rod is a native prairie plant. I don't think Golden Rod is considered invasive except in China and Germany. I have a natural stand of it on my property that really has not changed much in size in 23 years.

• Libby Yuewhoo Libby Yuewhoo on Sep 28, 2013
    We have lots of loosestrife here in Canada, so the cold doesn't seem to do it any harm. It should be pulled out and destroyed as its roots choke our waterways, killing fish and natural plants. It will grow on dry land and should not be given a place even though it is beautiful. It is not a native North American plant but came in, in much the same way that some insects have arrived on our shores, in ships and lumber products. View the following website for the whole story: http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/ais/purpleloosestrife_info

• Kathleen Brady Kathleen Brady on Sep 28, 2013
    all weeds are plants that no one wants! If you like it I say enjoy it!

• Dianna Longoria Dianna Longoria on Sep 28, 2013
    It's purple loosestrife ... looks pretty but is a noxious weed as it chokes out native vegetation.

• Linda Linda on Sep 28, 2013
    Thank you TJ. Lecture excepted with grace. Yes knowledge is powerful and I'll pass this along. Warmly, Linda B the goodwitch @No search results.gmail.com

• NancyLee NancyLee on Sep 29, 2013
    Herbalist Jim McDonald bemoans this medicinal plant's reputation: "This wetland dweller has become much maligned in recent years, and almost invariably admissions of its beauty are negated by admonishments for its terrible invasiveness......." He notes that it is useful for a variety of ailments including diarrhea, IBS, as an eyewash, hypoglycemic and liver protective properties and more. If you want to know more, read his informative article - you may change your mind about this plant. http://www.herbcraft.org/loosestrife.html

• See 2 previous
    • Bonnie Bassett Bonnie Bassett on Oct 11, 2013
      @NancyLee A very interesting article, I am glad to read some good news about this beautiful "weed" it is so pretty and I am a believer in the goodness of God's nature. Also I found the comment the writer made very interesting when he said that it can be a purifier since the Conn. River has become so much less polluted than it has been in the past. (The Conn. River is where I took the photo of the Loosestrife.) Thank you Nancy for your comments. I hope there is some truth to the writers comments since it has invaded this area beyond control.

• Mariposa Mariposa on Sep 29, 2013
    Here in CT it is banned it aggressively invades the wetlands.

• Aunt Hilda Aunt Hilda on Sep 29, 2013
    a weed is simply a misplaced flower....to answer the question, my name for it is INVADER, since it is an aggresive invasive plant variety. Pretty, but will choke out native plants in a relatively short time....

• Val Val on Sep 29, 2013
    It is illegal to plant purple loosestrife in Manitoba. It thrives in our 2b climate zone and is invasive in Canada too.

• Marj.Agnew-Edlen Marj.Agnew-Edlen on Sep 29, 2013
    You do not want this in your garden/yard. It is very invasice.....impossible to get rid of ....So just go to the river and look at it. ;)

• GranArt GranArt on Sep 29, 2013
    beautiful picture!

• Darlene Darlene on Sep 29, 2013
    Many years ago I read an article about how the Purple Loosestrife plant came to our waterways. The seeds ride over the ocean in tankers bilge. When they release the bilge water the seeds end up in our waterways. The plants are not native here and the wildlife does not have the ability to keep it under control so it takes over.

• Dana Pledger Dana Pledger on Sep 29, 2013
    Looks like Bazing Stars Liatris to me too. They make a tuber like root in the soil.

• Glenna Kennedy Glenna Kennedy on Sep 29, 2013
    Oh duh me lol Thanks Nancy I actually have some in my garden...seniors moment :)

• Bonnie Bassett Bonnie Bassett on Sep 29, 2013
    thank you everyone for your comment s and FYI but I am sad to know that such a pretty wildflower is so damaging. As far as reporting it to NH I am sure they are very aware of it since it has been growing everywhere for the past 10 years or more so I guess we all have to learn to live with it. Many plants and flowers that are now in the states were not native to our country ,

• Carolyn E Carolyn E on Sep 29, 2013
    It's loosestrife. I don't know about NH, but in IL it is illegal to transplant it. It is noxious and invasive -- a shame really, because it looks pretty. If you like the looks of it, you can plant veronica instead.

• Marj.Agnew-Edlen Marj.Agnew-Edlen on Sep 30, 2013
    @Corinna Dallaire ..... I don't have any in my yard/gardens but a friend does..............and she is sorry she ever drug it home from the Mississippi River.

• Phyllis Crowe Phyllis Crowe on Oct 06, 2013
    Loosestrif