I have hostas can I cut the flowers off?

+6
I don't like the way the flowers look Because I don't like the long shoots they grow on. Can anyone help me out with this on. Thanks Patti
  • Jennifer | CrazyDiyMom Jennifer | CrazyDiyMom on Apr 12, 2017
    Sure, you can cut them off if you don't like them.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Apr 12, 2017
    The flowers are minor on Hostas,so yes you can cut them without harming the plants.

• Joanna Joanna on Apr 13, 2017
    Totally --hostas are VERY hardy plants -- you can cut the stems anytime!

• Patti Patti on Apr 16, 2017
    Thanks for the help. Guess you can tell I'm not much of a Gardner. But I'm trying and enjoying it.

• Elaine Elaine on Apr 16, 2017
    I cut the flowering stalks off all the time as I don't like the look of them. If I had a "looser", more rustic-looking garden, I would most likely leave them on.

• Stevemar2 Stevemar2 on Apr 16, 2017
    Hostas are my favorite plant - you almost can't kill them. I had tons of huge, beautiful hostas in my yard in WA state, but I'm in Florida now and they seem to grow a little slower here. But they are doing well, surprisingly.

• Lin Lin on Apr 16, 2017
    Yes you can cut them off, but don't forget that the flower goes to seed and the seed spreads and you have MORE host, Tah Dah! UP to you, but I always want more of it...

• Cheri N Cheri N on Jul 28, 2019

If I plant all the flowers that I've cut off the hosta, will MORE come up next year?