My peonies won't bloom!!

+6
There are in full sun,have done soil test,amended soil with everything that was suggested by corroperative extension office , and I am a Master Gardener. I've tried everything. They had bloomed for years ,just stopped 3 years ago. Any other suggestions.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 20, 2017
    They most likely need to be divided .Wait until mid September

• Caren Walsh Caren Walsh on Jun 20, 2017
    They could also be planted to deep.

• Susan Susan on Jun 20, 2017
    hahaha--right, okay...it's more than likely they ARE planted TOO deeply. Leaves and debris build up over 3 years. AND my peonies that bloomed EVERY year for over 25 years (lost em in the divorce!) needed more shade than sun.

• David Crouch David Crouch on Jun 20, 2017
    I don't know where you are located, but most peonies don't do well in extremely warm climates. If you are in the deep South, clip them back this fall and store them in a cool environment for a couple weeks this winter. They need the cool period. You can dig up the roots and put them in refrigerator to accomplish this and replant in early spring. Also, be very careful that you don't plant them too deep, just barely cover the roots. It may take a couple growing seasons to get them to recover. I have a couple that I have transplanted several times over a 20 year period and they are still doing well. (I do not know the variety I have, but the flowers are white). Lot of extra work, but it works for me. Good luck

• Pegg77 Pegg77 on Jun 20, 2017
    They are probably both, too deep and too thick. They love ants so let those fellas stay busy around your plants. I hardly ever water mine and they seem to do great!

• Johnchip Johnchip on Jun 20, 2017
    If you get a bud, it will need its ants to become a bloom.

• Melissa Travis Thompson Melissa Travis Thompson on Jun 20, 2017
    You need ants. If you do t have a good ant supply around peonies they will not bloom.

• Debbie Blackey Debbie Blackey on Jun 21, 2017
    I live in NH so they get cold, there not to deep cause I clean around them every year. I've got plenty of ants and no buds . The only water they get is rain water. Some are in part shade. I have at least 10 different varieties. sorry the only thing I haven't tried is splitting them. As I say I'm a Master Gardener and have 45 years of gardening experience. I guess I'll try splitting them in the fall. But I'm surprised with 12 plants of different ages ,that this could be the problem with all of them. All the rest of my perennial gardens are growing and blooming fine. But thank you all for your ideas. If anyone has any other suggestions I'll listen!

• Emma Emma on Jun 21, 2017
      Only other thing I could think of is perhaps you are being too kind to them! It may be that they are getting too much nourishment so keep putting on leaf growth?