Poinsettia Plant

+8
Last year I bought one of these Christmas plants in a terracotta pot with a hole n the bottom of the pot for watering etc. This year I bought one from Sainsburys' superstore here in Coventry. I never checked what kind of pot it was in until I got home. No I find it is in a ceramic pot with no hole in the bottom for watering! Would it be alright to water from the top? My other one lasted for a year because it got watered from the bottom. Please advise. Geraldine.

• Can you post a photo? Is the plant in a plastic pot then just placed in a ceramic pot to make it look pretty? I would bet my last red cent that this is what they did (and also to charge more money for it too.) Take a good look and try and lift the plant out gently by the main stem.

• See 1 previous
    • Wow! I have never ever seen that done. The people in the floral department obviously do not know better. So sad. Those plants will all end up dead if the people that buy them do not know how to care for them. I would bring it to the attention of the store manager.

• Christina Yates Christina Yates on Dec 08, 2017
    Could you repot it into a fresh plant pot the same size? I'm sure it would be much happier, I would mention it to Sainsburys' though as not everyone is well up on this. I got a lovely large plant in a regular pot in Morrisons for about £4 so I knew it needed a container

• Barbara Baldwin Barbara Baldwin on Dec 08, 2017
    Sparingly, yes

• Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Dec 08, 2017
    If you only water the plant when it is dry and not give it too much water at one time it will survive. When the plant is finished and you want to use the ceramic pot again, place a small plastic lid in the bottom before putting in the soil it so that it can act like a reservoir. This way roots are not standing in water.

• JanDel JanDel on Dec 08, 2017
    You have to be very careful about too much water. If the leaves start turning yellow (not brown yellow) way too much water. Let it dry out completely on top by touch and then water in smaller amounts and less frequently. If you catch it soon enough, the leaves will turn green again.

Less is more. I found 3 days with no more than abt 6 ounces to work well. It will depend on the dryness in your house, too. It may take a week or two to get the right schedule, but it's worth it. Err on less (leaves looking a little dry around tree edges and increase just a little. Its a fine balance in a closed pot.

Of that's too much, I would repot the plant into a terra cotta with drain hole, or even just terra cotta sitting in water.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 08, 2017
    You will need to re-pot it in a container with drainage holes.It will not survive,they need to breath