What can I do about my orchids? This year they are almost dead

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jan 05, 2018
    How do you care for them? What medium are they planted in? Are they in a one or two pot system? I hope you aren't watering them with ice cubes. Set me know the answers to my questions and I will try to help you. Mine bloom two to three times a year.

• Sara yaker Sara yaker on Jan 06, 2018
      thank you for replying. I have them with the moss and little rocks specially sold for orchids. They are hanging on round receptacles with hemp underneath. I dont water them much. I hung them under my japanese fern tree. They used to bloom every year, beautiful flowers, this year the leaves are droopy,some are yellow and some have holes, maybe a bug?

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Jan 05, 2018
    Hi Sara,
    I don't have orchids, but I found an article about their needs. Click on the link below to read the article and learn more. Wishing you the best.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jan 07, 2018
    The holes sound like a bug. The limp leaves sound like perhaps too much water. Have you had a lot of rain? The moss and the hemp would hold onto water if it rains and possibly stay damp longer than they like. My daughter was given one and it started going down hill for her. It was planted in a moss substrate and it help onto the water so long its roots started to die and the leaves got really limp. I took it out of its pot and didn't water it at all, the soil finally has dried out. I plan on removing the soil and planting it with the orchid bark that I have had luck with, and put it in the two receptacle system. I lived in Naples for five years and had a fantastic orchid and it was planted on a wood base with no soil at all. The humidity under the overhang we had by our back door and under the lanai made it real happy and healthy. I misted it when it was real hot out, otherwise I didn't touch it. Have you had a change in the light where it is under the Japanese fern tree? Have you had a change in the amount of rain it received? Perhaps you should take it in the house and try to nurse them back to health. Make sure the moss and hemp dry out before you water them, perhaps just misting the leaves. Have you tried fertilizing it? I hope that your orchids will be ok. If you have a trusted green house that has orchids you could ask them about the holes in the leaves and what could possible be chewing on them and how to combat that without harming the orchids. I am unfamiliar with the pests you could get on them in Florida, but they may know. I am sure you can find out what is wrong with them. When I let my daughters dry out the leaves began to get firmer and not droopy anymore.