My neighbors pond over flows in my yard. Any ideas on how to fix it?

by Malina
The standing Water can get up to 3 feet high. It's killing trees with years of issues with this. Not to mention all the mosquitos

  12 answers
  • Ken Ken on May 03, 2018

    You need to bring in a professional to evaluate the situation. The EPA frowns upon modifying wetlands in any way.

  • Deb K Deb K on May 03, 2018

    Wow, that's a tricky one. Is there a way you can run a diversion ditch at the edge where your properties meet? I was thinking you could build a swale to divert the water away from your property and drain it further down. See the attachment,

  • Chas' Crazy Creations Chas' Crazy Creations on May 03, 2018

    Have you talked to your neighbor about it? I would start there first. Here is an article that might help -

  • Lisa S. Lisa S. on May 03, 2018

    This could be a zoning / local violation, or a home owner's association. Call you state representative, their office an sometimes help with these things.

  • Linda Linda on May 03, 2018

    If you have 311 that would be where I would start. If not building and saftey/code compliance for your city. Hope this helps

  • Depending on where you live, it is generally illegal to have water intrusion from a neighboring property. Get your local County surveyors out there. Take pictures, every day if necessary, to document the issue. They can have the neighbors remedy the problem. The health issues alone are enough to get them out there quickly. On your side, you may need to do some regrading of the property. I would get a soils engineer out there to take a look to see what they might suggest.

  • Cheryl A Cheryl A on May 03, 2018

    I have a pond that is 3 or 4 feet deep and have never encountered this problem. I am wondering if he over fills it - I would talk to him, take photos so you can show him what it is doing in your yard, maybe he isn't aware.

  • William William on May 03, 2018

    All else fails build a berm on your property to divert the water and also keep the water on your neighbors. Maybe they'll get the message.

  • Shore grandmom Shore grandmom on May 03, 2018

    You could build a retaining wall then fill in your side with soil. That will keep the water where it should be.

  • Malina Malina on May 04, 2018

    I have called out the county. It actually floods my yard, another neighbor at times and a farmers filed. I have 3 acres and it for sure can get 1 acre in a mess. Pond owner knows he can see it. Overflow has two pipes running into my yard. That's how they okd that new development. He actually told me this after I bought it the guy before me hated it. Yes and do do I. I did replace our drain pipes some in back. City advised developer who is no longer in business installed the wrong ones. The county had one location clean some drain tiles since they were blocked. Then said anything else we would need a lawyer. I live in IL. By the way when I did have someone out for drain tiles the neighbor came over and asked him to fix his driveway it gets a little puddle in it from pond. The guy told him but look what your pond foes to them. I bought the property since I had 2 horses and was getting married and wanted to keep the horses on it. But every time it rains I am up wondering how bad it's going to be. My last horse I had for 25 years just passed away January of 2017. But here I lay in bed and it's raining and has been off and on for a couple of days. Sad when you can't use all your land. Or go outside and not worry about mosquitos and they love me and my kids. Not the hubby until we put bug spray on and he walks out without any.

    Thanks so much everyone!!!

  • Malina Malina on May 04, 2018

    Oh and they did have the engineers and under ground camera's when they were checking the tiles and looking at the blue prints when the country came to check it out

  • Malina Malina on May 04, 2018

    Sorry 1 last thing. When we redid some of the drain tiles there. We decided to fix it ourselves and the neighbor one of the side properties that floods do to our yard not being able to handle it. The county sad we couldn't because she was worried then if we raised our yard or did anything then we would make her flood more. She's passed and someone else bought it the a year later snot family bought it. I know part of it is the village probably wanted money and a permit. We've had the place for oh my 16 years in August every year it sinks. More trees die. It's terrible.