What can I do to my soil to grow vegetables?

I have pine trees around my yard . What can I do to the soil to gro vegetables? Is there anything?

• Bijous Bijous on Jan 31, 2019

Hi. put your veggies in raise beds with amended soil. Make sure they get at least 8 hours of sun. Happy gardening!

• Oliva Oliva on Jan 31, 2019

Hi, Pam,

Tomatoes, basil, peppers, squash all grow well in acidic soils. If you're looking to grow vegetables needing more neutral growing conditions, can you make an area 40' from the pines, to have a plot with garden soil, sphagnum peat moss, composted cow manure? If not, you may have to make elevated garden beds, but they'll still require a minimum of 8 hours full sun, daily, sufficient water, excellent drainage, and protection from animals and damaging insects.

• 2dogal 2dogal on Feb 03, 2019

Get a soil test done. You probably have an acidic soil - not very conducive to growing many vegetables. If you get a soil test done, you will not have to amend the soil with nutrients it does not need. BTW: your pine needles will work well instead of mulch on your beds to keep weeds down.