I want to add a pantry to my kitchen. How hard is it to cut into wall?

+4
My kitchen does not have much storage. I would like to cut into the wall and put in a small pantry (with barn door). My dining room has the space. See attached photo to see what I would like. Behind the wall is a spare bedroom that has the space.
q i want to add a pantry to my kitchen how hard is it to cut into wall
  • Bijous Bijous on Dec 29, 2017
    That wall may be a partial load-bearing wall. Have a structural engineer check it out first. Once the wall has been inspected, you can proceed. Essentially you're making a box. I'd draw this out to scale from the kitchen side and then from the dining room to see what you're finished product will look like before starting the work. A bump out in this wall may not have the look you're going for. Good luck.

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Dec 29, 2017
    Hi there, if you would rather not lose a bedroom there is the option to make a shallow pantry between your studs.

• See 2 previous
    • Kristen Durelle Kristen Durelle on Dec 29, 2017
      Thanks. I like the idea. I would want it big enough to put in some kitchen gadgets/machines. But I dont think I would need a walk-in or anything.

• William William on Dec 29, 2017
    You can cut a doorway opening in the wall but it would require some considerable framing. Not to mention framing and finishing the pantry space. I love the idea from GrandmasHouseDIY! You wouldn't loose valuable space from the bedroom. You can still install a barn door if that is the look your looking for.

Thanks. Thats what I was afraid of. If I got a contractor in to do it, how much would something like that cost?