How to tone down/change a bright brass fireplace surround?

It's bright brass and I'd like to tone it down - antique it or somehow change it, but still keep the "look" of some type of brass or bronze.

• Rowgop (Pam) Rowgop (Pam) on Dec 28, 2017
    ok found some info for you.

Brass will dull and tarnish rapidly. The reason that isn't happening is probably because there is a clear protective coating on it: lacquer (which can be removed with Acetone [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] or lacquer thinner [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] or something more durable which can probably be removed with methylene chloride based Aircraft Stripper [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]. The methylene chloride is really nasty stuff, to be used only outside, with protective gloves [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] and goggles [linked by editor to product info at Amazon], and only after other stuff doesn't work.

• V Valencia V Valencia on Dec 28, 2017
    I used Annie Sloan's Dark Wax...I did this on a fireplace screen that was shiny brass. It dulled it down to my liking. Not sure how it would work on something that is handled often, but this worked for my piece.