I need to give my red brick fireplace a mantel and marble hearth.

+2
I have a 70's brick ranch home in the country that I'd like to remodel with elegant but affordable cottage features. I have a red brick fireplace without a mantel and with a concrete hearth. I'd like to add an ornate wood mantel and true or faux marble hearth. We are 2 teachers with 5 kids so affordability is a huge deal!

• Bijous Bijous on Dec 06, 2017
    Go to, or look on-line, a resale shop(s) to find a wood mantel. They're surprisingly cheap. Faux paint your hearth to look like marble. On-line there are all sorts of instructions on faux painting. However, practice on cardboard before you tackle the hearth. Once you have the technique down, then tackle the hearth. Good luck.

• Lisa S. Lisa S. on Dec 06, 2017
    You can order such mantels and even fireplace surrounds on the internet. You can get a stone mason to cut a piece of stone / granite to fit over the existing hearth, and fasten it down for you.

• 27524803 27524803 on Dec 06, 2017
    DIYnetwork.com or HGTV.com or Pinterest.com should have lots of ideas for you... as to your hearth.... check with your local granite and stone (counter top) suppliers... they will often have remnants left over that they sell for much much less... and there are some really nice large format tiles (like 24 in. X 48 in ) in marble look finishes that would give you the look with out the cost. We saw them at a store called Floor and Decor (online too)

• Gale Allen Jenness Gale Allen Jenness on Dec 06, 2017
    keep in mind that there’s fire codes to consider when adding combustible material to a fireplace! Standard code is 36” from the top of the firebox to combustible and 12” on each side of the firebox to combustible! Legally doing this you would nees a permit and have it inspected. If you don’t have the permit and don’t have inspected and you have a fire your home owners will not cover your home! Many people just don’t know or realize doing projects like this can cause them a lot of grief if they don’t jump thru all the government hoops! You have to have a permit for doing almost anything any more! Big part of it is so the city knows you improved your property to raise your taxes too! Bunch of B.S. I know, but you’re stuck if you want to be legal? If you avoid the permit, I still recommend staying within the code guidelines!

• Shoshana Shoshana on Dec 07, 2017
    This should help you with the mantel installation! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5E_oSDuAw8