Car port makes my living room very dark

+3
I love my new home and I love the fact I have a car port, but the lounge window looks out into the car port making the lounge very dark. Any ideas of how to get more light into the room?

• SandyG SandyG on Jan 08, 2018
    More electric lighting in the room will help. Possibly some metallic or mirrored accessories. Also using light colored accessories.

• Jamie Jamie on Jan 08, 2018
    It depends on what type of roofing you have on your car port. If it has regular shingles, you can actually put a skylight in the ceiling and place it by your windows so it will let more light in. If you are able to get up in your attic, they now sell skylights that are fairly easy to put in. They are round. They have a tube that goes from the roof to your drywall ceiling. All you have to do is cut a circle in your ceiling and your roof. They make different diameters, I have seen one that was about 6"-7" diameter and was amazed how much light it let in. The tube has reflectors that reflect the light down the tube. It is just amazing how much light this little light brings in. They are a lot less messier than putting in a full skylight. Which I have 3 I know the mess. These can be put anywhere in your house as long as you can get to your roof and ceiling from your attic. I hope this helps. If you can give more information on your house and carport their might be more options. contractor 30+ years

• Jim Cox Jim Cox on Jan 09, 2018
    I put four can lights in my living room via the attic with 4 8 watt LEDs for about $60 all in a 4-5 hours using existing wiring. I went back and added an additional switch and dimmer later for more control.

• Ladybug* Ladybug* on Jan 09, 2018
    I like the skylights best!

• Donna Donna on Jan 09, 2018
    Painting the ceiling of the carport bright white (& any other beams, side supports, etc) will reflect a surprising amount of light back into the house especially if the sides are open...a quick fix while you decide other solution. A sheer curtain can hide the “mess”, if there is any.
    I painted the ceiling of an open porch and was astounded at the added light in the adjoining living room!

• Susan Susan on Jan 09, 2018
    I changed out the panes of glass to mirrored panes that now reflect the light off the other windows in the room. Fini!