Does cardboard over the soil with bark chips on top help Florida soil?

+6
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 28, 2017
    help with controling weeds?or do you want to amend the soil?

• Ken Ken on Dec 28, 2017
    The short answer is "no". What are you trying to accomplish?

• Dka29227663 Dka29227663 on Dec 28, 2017
      I was informed that it would decompose and amend the soil. I thought it sounded crazy myself but that's what people said about Florida soil.

• Suzy Kennedy-Lawrence Suzy Kennedy-Lawrence on Dec 28, 2017
    I'm in Oregon but have decomposed granite for soil and a professional landscaper told me to put down cardboard, let it get wet and that would smother the weeds and I could design it the way I wanted. Cover with bark chips, gravel, or ?? Use cinder blocks stacked like bricks to make a raised bed garden, put a row of bricks on top for a finishing touch,. making sure the cardboard is doubled at the bottom of that and fill with soil, plant whatever you want, herbs, veggies, flowers, whatever you wish.

• Dka29227663 Dka29227663 on Dec 29, 2017
      Thanks for the site Janet. Still, it doesn't mention using cardboard so I'm still perplexed as to why it was recommended for Fl. soils. I would think simple compost would be preferable but I'm not familiar with Fl. soils.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 29, 2017
    Most sites do not tell you to use cardboard for amending soil,it is strictly mentioned for controlling weeds.

• 2dogal 2dogal on Dec 31, 2017
    Yes, cardboard is better for controlling weeds. It will disintegrate over a couple years though. Get a soil test through your county agricultural extension office. They are local and will be able to help you best. It is not expensive ($9.00) and will tell you what your soil needs.