How to get dog urine smell out of artificial lawn?

+38
Is there a way to get rid of dogs urine smell out of my artificial lawn? It really stinks on warm days and nothing I try works! I am fed up sitting on our patio and that awful smell wafts over us. I have tried bleach, disinfectant, biocarb of soda, laundry detergent, nothing works!
  • Sherrie Slaboda Sherrie Slaboda on Sep 05, 2016
    I have a 30 ft x 3 ft dog run which is the dog(s) bathroom. I use baking soda and wash down with a high pressure hose and about once a month I spray with ODOban to disinfect the area. In Florida it is always hot and humid.

• William William on Sep 05, 2016
    You would need an enzyme product otherwise the odor would be masked and not removed. Simple Green Outdoor Odor Eliminator For Dogs, Nature's Miracle Stain & Odor Remover, Pure Nature Pets Turf & Kennel Artificial Turf Deodorizer,

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Sep 05, 2016
    Try natures miracle available at pet stores.

• Melissa Melissa on Sep 06, 2016
    Natures Miracle does work great...but there's an enzyme product called MY PET PEED that works wonders! I don't use anything else anymore. http://www.mypetpeed.com/products/

• IFortuna IFortuna on Sep 06, 2016
    We use straight rubbing alcohol. We spray it on the area that needs treating. It completely destroys the odor. : )

• See 1 previous
    • Jeff Jeff on Aug 11, 2020

Hi David -Try uricide at uricide.com. We have two german shepherds and it's the only thing that works.

• Kimberly Fogl Flory Kimberly Fogl Flory on Sep 06, 2016
    We coat it rather heavily with baking soda, let sit for a little bit. Then we spray it down with vinegar. After that we hose it down and odor is gone. I will say that the vinegar smell remains for just a bit. But as it is outside, it doesn't usually bother us much and it's gone the next day.

• See 2 previous
    • Jeff Jeff on Jan 19, 2021

Yes when you buy the uricide it comes with a free hose attachment.

• Sherrie S Sherrie S on Sep 07, 2016
    If you just put fake grass on concrete I'm sure you will have problems with smell. I replaced the original grass after 10 years and also increased the depth of the stones to 12". New grass is about 2 years old with no bad smell.

• Taf Taf on Sep 08, 2016
    Hi Julie, I would try the Simple Green product as someone suggested. just remember artificial grass should be hosed down every month. Good Luck!

• John Pla John Pla on Jun 07, 2018
    Guys, I own a company called TurFresh.com. I have been in the artificial grass business for over twenty years and about ten years ago I created a formula to remove odor from artificial grass. Our product is called BIOTURF and I can tell you from personal experience that it is the best product out there.

We use the product every day and it smells amazing and the product stands out due to its level of concentration of actual Enzymes and the quality of enzymes used in the formula.

Our BioS+ technology has the most strains of bacteria to address not only odor from urine but also feces degredation, saliva and vomit.

I hope this helps...

• Sharon Sharon on Jun 09, 2018
    First I would make a potty area for the dog and train it to use that area by walking dog on leash to the new area, once dog has it embedded that this is their area they will use it. I would put down sand and gravel. Then use a pet enzyme cleaner to get rid of the pet urine odor, a black flashlight will help you find all the spots at sunset. I use the tablets as it mixes up fresh and is stronger than using the over the counter solutions which are mostly water. I use this for myself and all my client's pet accidents..... https://www.amazon.com/Jackson-Galaxy-Stain-Eliminator-Fizzion/dp/B019YMYNR0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1528602780&sr=8-4&keywords=jackson+galaxy+pet+stain+and+odor+fizzion

• John Pla John Pla on Jun 13, 2018
    Sorry.�its 8558Let me know if you are g it’s 8554448873

• Gillian Robertson Gillian Robertson on Jul 08, 2018

I''m in Canada. Some products are not available up here. Suggestions?

• Isaacgloria Isaacgloria on Sep 10, 2018

We have found a solution to relieve you of the bad odors and the bacteria that grows in the infill of your artificial grass/turf. We use our lab created organic base enzyme to breakdown the bacteria and relieve the odors. We use our patented applicator that will not harm the grass/turf or the infill. The applicator sanitizes the surface areas as well as deep down in the infill which is where the source of the bacteria growth and odor stem. We would be pleased to give You a consult and relieve your yard of those bad odors. Please call “Pet-Solutions” 480-567-4817 for any other questions you may have, or to schedule a free quote. We have helped many recover their yards and pleased to serve you.

• Karen Smith Karen Smith on May 05, 2019

I am in Toronto, Ontario,CANADA, What do u suggest and where can I get it? Are there any home remedies?

• Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Jul 09, 2020

Hi Julie, so sorry to hear that. It's a common problem. Mix ¼ cup of baking soda with 1 cup water, 1/3 cup distilled white vinegar, and about 1/4 cup of mild dish soap. Put the solution in a spray bottle a mix thoroughly before spraying it on the stain. Rub it in lightly with a clean cloth and let it stand for about 20 minutes. Rinse the solution away with hose and let it dry thoroughly. Be sure to test the mixture first on a spot to make sure it won’t discolor or damage your artificial lawn.

• Oliva Oliva on Aug 18, 2020

You didn't indicate if the problem is from your dogs or from those of neighbors, but placing large pots of Rue near your lawn perimeter will deter most cats and dogs. Alternatively, spraying Deer Away or similar will smell overnight (to you), but will be gone by morning. The smell is effective for about 3 weeks in keeping many animals far off your property.

• Jeff Jeff on Aug 24, 2020

Hello Everyone - There is a product available at www.removeurinesmellonpetturf.com that works incredibly well. It's a concentrate so for $49 you get 20 gallons of usable product. It works on all outdoor surfaces, not just artificial turf.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jan 14, 2021

Hello Julie,

The Pet Shop or eBay can help you with a Spray! Otherwise use a soapy water using a little Bio Wash powder and dowse the whole lot the 24 hrs later Jet Wash it. Hope that helps.

• Kimberly Rable Kimberly Rable on Oct 10, 2021

Do not listen to Uricide guy…IT DOES NOT WORK!!! I live in Houston TX…I’ve had turf for almost 6 years I’ve tried everything including trading out my turf and infill and I’m still battling the smell! It’s awful! Everything named here I’ve tried! The enzyme is good unless you live in a really hot place…once it gets to be a certain temp it kills the enzymes! I need to try the baking soda followed by vinegar rinse…can anyone follow up with that method! Please!!!

• Jeff Jeff on Nov 10, 2021

Hi Kimberly - The Uricide works, 100%. If you call our tech support line, we will tell you steps to get rid of the odor. If your turf is 6 years old, this tells me that it may be " clogged up ", and it may not be draining properly. In this situation, dried urine crystals get trapped at the base of the turf blades and/or under the infill. We can give you an easy fix for this if you give us a call.

Uricide is used at dog day care centers, humane society locations, rescue centers, veterenarians and thousands of homes all across the country, so the product definitely works. In certain situations, you may have to apply a couple additional steps, but it will definitelty get rid of the odor. Please call our toll free tech support line for assistance, we are more than happy to help.

Our tech support line is: 1.800.291.9071

• FishGillz FishGillz on Nov 12, 2021

We used uricide and it works better than anything else that we tried, and we tried about a half a dozen products. The first time we tried it, it only knocked the odor back about 50%. We called their tech suport line and they told us how to do a " shock treatment", which has to be used on occassion for older turf installations. With older turf, the turf blades can get matted and the infill hardens over time, which can cause draining problems. The technician spent over 20 minutes on the phone with us and told us exactly what to do. After the initial heavier application, the odors are completely gone and we can enjoy our yard again. Uricide's customer service is second to none and we are completely satisfied.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Nov 23, 2021

Go down to the Pet Store and ask them! You can't be the first with that problem , or ask the people that supplied and made the lawn what they would recommend.