How can I start my veggie garden and keep neighbors cats out of it?

+3
I want to get my kids gardening. Have a large backyard but see neighbors cats walking around. Do I buy those raised garden beds? What do I grow as I'm in warmish year round Houston?

• Mitzi Fawcett Mitzi Fawcett on Dec 27, 2017
    I have a lot of cats myself and had have the same problem. My solution is to build a chicKen wire cage around the garden big enough to stand in.

• Ken Ken on Dec 27, 2017
    Lots of feral cats in my neighborhood but they don't seem to want to use my garden as a sandbox. Your neighborhood will be different. Do you have a pellet gun, a rocking chair, and a lot of free time?

Raised bed gardens are the way to go, but the store-bought ones are a bit short. Made mine 16" tall but two feet or even 30" would be better. There are lots of sites with how-to-build your own raised bed planters. Instead of the plain ol' dirt in the yard you fill your new box with dark loamy compost and soil mix so your new plants will thrive.

Lucky you, you can plant anything you want while ours are frozen hard as cement. I recommend green beans to first time gardeners. 1) a pack of seeds enough to plant a 4x8 raised garden bed costs a buck. 2) easy poke the seeds in the ground and wait. 3) few bugs bother them and a very light dusting of Sevin takes care of those (didn't have to use any this year on mine). Deer don't eat green beans. 4) prolific harvest that goes on for so long you and your kids will be sick of picking them. 5) one of the few vegetables that nearly all kids will eat.

Good luck and I hope that you go through with this. I love to see people gardening and cannot wait until I can plant beans again. In the meantime the ones I have stored in the freezer from this last season are so much better than the ones from the store, fresh or frozen.

• Pascale Nguyen Pascale Nguyen on Dec 27, 2017
    Raised gardens can be bought at Home Depot. You can put pots of mint and peppermint around to try and keep the cats away.

• 27524803 27524803 on Dec 27, 2017
    My suggestion is to get a motion activated rain bird... that will spray the cats with water when they come in your yard.... They will stop coming if they get "shot" with water all the time.... or get a big barky dog
    Ps.. we use the galvanized horse troughs or stock tanks for our raised gardens... work good and can be moved around (after you empty the dirt) if you need to... they won't keep the cats out... but they make great raised garden beds