How can I stop this water from coming onto my property !

+7
q how can i stop this water from coming onto my property
How can I stop this water from coming onto my property, the most inexpensive way!
  • Oh my. Inexpensive may not be part of the equation. You might consider installing French drains and have your property regraded to flow away from your home, but not onto your neighbors property. You may need a surveyor to mark the property line for you. Check to see our local codes concerning water intrusion. To me it looks like years of natural settling and erosion. Maybe after regrading install some shrubs?

• Ranger Ranger on Jan 02, 2018
    French drains and soil sloped away from your home must be done. It looks like you have the slope done from the picture. I had a problem with water also. The way I stopped it so that my sump pumps did not have to continually run after a big storm was to connect the French drains to a septic tank (not one used for sewage but for this use only) and I put a sewage pump in the septic tank. It pumped the water out to an outside ditch running down my street. Its clear water so there should be no problem with this. Now the only time I hear the sump pumps come on is when I have a large amount of water from a storm.
    You may consider drain tile under extremely wet areas also. They could be diverted to the septic tank used for clean water. It's obvious that all these solution require a place for your water to go where it will not damage anyone else's property. The Soil Conservation service , a government agency, may be able to help you. They help farmers when crop land needs "fixed". While they probably can't give financial aid they may have someone kind enough to offer suggestions.
    I assume you have gutters on your house that direct water away as this is really important. Best of luck.

• Lamar Havard Lamar Havard on Jan 02, 2018
    A 5 to 10-degree slope from your home to the stand of trees will take care of it

• 2dogal 2dogal on Jan 03, 2018
    You can't stop it from coming onto your property from another person's property. In certain areas, I believe it may be illegal and if the backed up water damages the other property, there is the potential for a lawsuit. If this is your bottom line, check with the county first. please.
    Otherwise, yes, what has been written is correct. Divert the water. Cheaper than a French drain is to dig a swale.

• GG GG on Jan 03, 2018
      Check with your local County Water Master. There are definitely laws concerning water over run from a neighboring property. However with that said, I have to go with the majority here and say, grading/sloping and drainage would go a long way.

• Jeanette S Jeanette S on Jan 03, 2018
    I looks to me that you have low spots that are holding water. The solution is not difficult, but it will require some work on your part and some expense for soil, seed and hay straw.

I have attached an excellent article I found about "wet gardens" which should give you a good start.

Look to utilize that tree area...which can be cleaned out now (read how it was done by this family). Then you can slop your yard to that area and then reseed in the spring.

Start back at your foundation and slop toward trees and not neighbors. I am sure you can find lots of other articles on Wet Gardens.
    -----------

• Melanie Melanie on Jan 03, 2018
    All of these are good ideas but a quick fix is to trench it with a shovel or a hoe. Take your shovel or hoe and start drenching from where the water is lying going down about an inch or two and doing the same with the width. Trench away from your house the water will follow the trench. My mom's backyard looks like this each spring and we do this. It is not a permanent fix but it is effective immediately.

• Susan Ziegler Susan Ziegler on Jan 03, 2018
    I had the same thing between the east side of my house and neighbors. I determined which way was the path of least resistance that the water liked to flow. I kept my neighbor informed to be a good neighbor and created a dry creek bed that separated our houses. It was not placed on her property though. When large rocks and boulders along with great water tolerant plants, we had a place for the water to go where we wanted it. A lot of work but reasonable cost without professional power equipment we created a beautiful natural woodland stream bed. Love it.

• Mandy Brown Mandy Brown on Jan 03, 2018
    All of these answers are correct in that the federal government passed stricter laws governing storm water and how it's handled. You don't show where the water is coming from so it's more difficult to give an answer. If it's coming from a public road then you may be able to contact the town/county who's responsible for maintaining the road to fix the issue. If water is washing across their impervious service onto the adjacent property owners without a channel to catch the water to take it to then it's their problem and they may owe you damages. If the water is coming from an adjacent property owner who has recently re-graded land then you have legal recourse to get them to fix the problem. If it's always been this way then you're best bet would be to get with an engineer or surveyor to have your property re-graded so it does not impact your neighbors, but doesn't flow toward your house either. Landscaping around your foundation will help a lot to keep water at bay. The extra soil and type of plants you use will act as wicking to soak up the water. You could put in a rain garden with an underground pipe so when there is excess water it will be channeled to an area designed to take the extra wetness with plants specific for that purpose. It's also an attractive area instead of a large pond of standing water.

• Rory McBean Rory McBean on Jan 03, 2018
    Rain water garden. When the area is dry, planting native flowers and plants. Choose plants that like to be submerged occasionally at the lowest point. Then you can plant semi-submergant plants a short distance from the bottom plants. Keep moving up the area until you reach the top where you put in plants that like dryer soil. The key is to use native plants. They have very long roots, which allow the run-off to be filtered and rid of impurities by the time it reaches the water table. Learn more at the city of Maplewood, Minnesota's website.