How do I reuse gallon water containers for bird/squirrel feeders?

+2
we b water by the gallons for vooking and drinking and I’m throwing out the containers. There must be clever people who can help me reuse the plastic jugs, primarily as bird feeders for the cold PA winters.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 13, 2017
    https://www.hometalk.com/diy/outdoor/garden/thistle-bird-feeder-927656

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 13, 2017
    Put a hole in front large enough for the birds to get in towards the bottom and put in a couple of small dowels for them to perch on to eat that stick out a few inches. I would make sure that it hangs level so less snow will get in. I don't know how I would do it, but the piece you cut out could be used to put a roof over the hole for more protection. Make sure you put in a number of small holes in the bottom for drainage of melting snow/rain, etc. Check it to make sure the feed doesn't get covered with snow and freeze into a block. I have to do that frequently to my bird feeders to keep the food loose for them to be able to eat.

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Dec 13, 2017
    I found this on google!

• Deanna Nassar Deanna Nassar on Dec 13, 2017
    If you cut off side below the handle, at angle down to the base you can make a scoop. Some could be made into houses for wrens.
    What size hole does a wren house need?
    Diameter of Hole, Floor, Size. Wrens prefer a house that has an entry hole dimension of 1 1/8 inches, any larger and house sparrows and other less desirable birds will use them. The floor should be 4 inches square and 3-6 inches below the entry hole.