I’m in Durham NC and wanted to plant vegetables is it too late?

+2
  • Kauai Breeze Kauai Breeze on Dec 06, 2017
    Wait until Spring and the weather is consistently warm.

• Ken Ken on Dec 06, 2017
    Vegetables is a big category. Did you have something in mind? Generally I would say that it is too late, certainly for a frost sensitive plant like a tomato.

Fall crops get planted in August. If you put in something winter-hardy like spinach, the seeds won't sprout. You could sprout them indoors and put them out once they get established. Spinach won't grow during the winter but will wait until spring. Then they explode with growth and be your first crop of the year..

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 06, 2017
    Check what veggies you want to plant for your zone. Look up your plants to see if there is anything that will survive that you want to plant.

• Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Dec 06, 2017
    You might could squeeze in some collards, but I doubt it. You chances will be greater if you get the seeds to grow about six inches tall inside, plant them in raised planters, cover them every night, and see they get as much sunlight as possible. After all, after Dec. 21, the days will get longer. But if frost or a freeze gets them, they're gone. How about growing some herbs on the kitchen windowsill instead, and go for veggies in a warm March or April sun? 😇