Lawn Grass- The area stays shady most of the time because of trees...

+3
I have an area where I have planted St Augustine grass two different times and used various grass seeds at other times with no success. The area stays shady most of the time because of trees. What are my choices?

• Ron28255694 Ron28255694 on Dec 27, 2017
    If you can trim the lower limbs of the Tree and remove the smaller limbs within the Canopy, that would bring in the Sun more to help grow the San Augustine. It needs plenty of SUN to grow thick. Also like a problem I have if the Tree Roots are closer to the surface of the Ground, the Tree roots are soaking up the ground water and taking from the Grass Root system. I have this problem with my OAK trees and will need to remove the Roots that are near the surface by removing the grass, cutting the roots out, then replacing the grass with some soil. Hope this helps you.

• Pau5674629 Pau5674629 on Dec 28, 2017
    Nothing cannot grow without sun either trim some branches or where there's sun around when it catch it will spread but not to perfection because need sun

• 2dogal 2dogal on Dec 28, 2017
    It takes time, but I have a moss lawn. It never needs mowing as is green in the winter!

• Stacey Reynolds Stacey Reynolds on Dec 28, 2017
    You may want to think about a bench around your tree. Then you could add to that and plant flowers around it. Disguise the limit!

• Susan Kosenka Susan Kosenka on Dec 28, 2017
    Dwarf mondo grass may grow for you under the tree. How big is the area? May need to rethink and grow ferns and hostas. Moss can be added but it will take lots of money or time to cover the area. You can also blend buttermilk and pieces of moss to get it to grow in areas.

• Kel Kel on Dec 29, 2017
    Have you considered plants that grow in shade. Visit your local greenhouse and ask them for suggestions for your growing zone.