What is the best gravel to put in a child’s outside play area?

+4
We are wanting to fix an area outside 24 x 24 for child’s play area wanting to either put grass or gravel. Needing help on choosing which is the best.

• Kathleen Kathleen on Dec 09, 2017
    I would use artificial turf or the rubberized material they install un certain activity parks for all abilities. Gravel is really brutal on the knees if they fall

• Ginger Ginger on Dec 09, 2017
      thank you. I did check this option out but it’s quite expensive but I still may consider it.

• DW DW on Dec 09, 2017
    pea gravel is best, but its not cheap. You wii want to build a small retainer wall (6” tall) around the perimeter to hold the gravel in..treated wood, stone blocks, any outdoor product will do.. for 24’ x 24’ x 4” depth would take at least 7 cu yards of pea gravel..if you don’t build a retainer wall of some sort , you will have gravel every where and it becomes tiny rockets when you mow over it..NOT GOOD..after you put up the little wall, spray the area with grass killer, let set over nite and spray again,,DO NOT use landscaping cloth under the gravel, you will be sorry, as weeds will grow thru it and be harder to get rid of. You’re still gonna have to “de-weed” by hand occasionally. this isn’t a do once and forget project,..and remember, at some point the kids grow out of this, and you have to do something with all that gravel...at that point the fun goes away and you wonder why you didn’t just leave it in grass and repair as necessary...good luck

• Cliff Cliff on Dec 09, 2017
    I would not use weed killer due to residual effects of the chemicals. Use many layers of newspaper to kill the vegetation. When the area is no longer a play area just free form it and add landscaping, no gravel removal required. No lawn mowing there, you're just being proactive and foresighted.

• Ginger Ginger on Dec 09, 2017
      Thank you. I will try the newspaper before the gravel is put down. Once the kids outgrow it we are going to make it into dads BBQ area so the gravel will still be of use.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Dec 09, 2017
    Rubber chips