Where do I start landscaping around my house in an undeveloped field?

I'm living in a very rural area that the soil has never been developed And is nothing but wild grass and weeds.
  5 answers
  • D roach D roach on Jun 03, 2017
    the soil should be really good as it has only been supporting grass. Start with a small patch. dig it over really well and get out as much roots and grass as possible, then plant up with plants of your choice.
    If you want to lay path etc. you will need a good plan.

  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jun 03, 2017
    Once you get the grass and weeds up, till the area and maybe put in some manure and peat if the soil is real heavy. Start with manageable size areas and do that one, then start on the area next to it. It is much easier to do small areas and get it all done at once then go on. If you want to plant right away, just leave an edge so you don't harm what you have planted. Make out a blueprint of sorts as to the size you want and what you want to plant where, that way if you do plant each area as you finish with soil, you know exactly what to do next. Good luck and have fun!

  • Sharon Sharon on Jun 03, 2017
    When I created an area outside my log cabin in British Columbia, I used a rototiller first, raked up the busted up clumps of roots, and put them in the compost bin. Then I planted. You can put down some weed and feed once its established to kill any broadleaf invaders.

  • Dfm Dfm on Jun 03, 2017
    start with knowing what is under your soil. any power lines, cables, sewage pipes and septic tanks, water lines, gas supply if propane is used and "land fill i.e. we buried our junk there" type areas. the items you don't want to shovel thru.

    if your homestead is in an open field, consider planting a wind break. your local extension office can help with this. nm would be new mexico? i'm in iowa...not that familiar with what plant materials to use and water usage. the master gardener in your area might know.

    you are in a grassland area.....mow...as in a hay baler might be useful. then look into a sod stripper to remove the roots of the grass field. in my area-when farm fields are fallowed and get overtaken with weeds...they are usually burned off. a "prescribed burn" is what it is called- it might be an option. then plant the appropriate type of lawn grass for your area. again the county extension office should be helpful.