Asked on Jun 08, 2018

Homemade poison ivy killer

Liz Kenneally
by Liz Kenneally
+2
  • Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Jun 08, 2018
    Hi Liz,
    I use straight vinegar now for weeds, with a little dishwashing detergent like Dawn, for a surfactant that helps it stick to the weeds. Some recipes also include salt however, I don't use it because the salt pretty much kills the dirt. With poison ivy, the salt actually may help so you can add it if you want. You must be careful to cover as much of your body as possible when you try to kill it. Also, any solution may not soak into the dirt far enough to kill all the roots, so if a piece comes up, the best thing to do is to spray it with the solution right away. It may take several treatments including a few the next season for it all to die. If you spray as soon as you see any come up, eventually that process itself will make the roots die out. I hope that helps. Wishing you the best.

• Cindy Cindy on Jun 08, 2018
    Hi Liz, This recipe will kill poison ivy and weeds too. Pour a cup of salt into a gallon of vinegar. Shake and stir until the salt is dissolved. ( about 2 mins) Add one tablespoon Dawn dish soap. Mix. Pour this solution into a spritz bottle. Spritz on the poison ivy. Best of luck to you.

• Rick Rick on Jun 09, 2018
    Hi Liz, This is the homemade remedy I found - very easy & straight forward: 3 cups white distilled vinegar, 1/2 cup salt & 1 Tablespoon of Dawn (helps to make the liquid stick to the leaves. Mix vinegar & salt until completely dissolved, add the Dawn and put in spray bottle. Spray all the green growing leaves of the poison ivy but be careful not to spray this on of your garden plants or they will die too. Best used in a dry spell, repeat in a week if necessary. Rick Allen