How do I get rid of crab grass?

+2
Crab grass has taking over my lawn. I've tried different weed killers and they don't seem to effect the crab grass at all.

• My back yard had the same problem. I used vinegar. Then dug it all out and am going to till and re seed in the spring.

• Amanda Amanda on Dec 20, 2017
    Hi Dennis. Crab grass is a annual and not a perennial. It comes back every year from reseeding its self. The best way to get it under control is to use a crab grass preventer in late winter or early spring depending on where you live. For me in Wisconsin it is in spring. This has a pre-emergent that prevents any seeds left behind from developing.

• Gary Mantei Gary Mantei on Dec 20, 2017
    Viniger & Salt

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 20, 2017
    Depending on your location Follow the five step fertilizing [program beginning with step one a crab grass pre-emergent.Regular crab grass killers in between to get it under control as well.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 20, 2017
    Why is it that everyone is all about using organic and not harming the ecosystem, yet they always use things that damage when it comes to weeds? Vinegar sterilizes anything it touches, including the soil. It is an antibacterial and antifungal agent and will kill whatever it touches on plants and in the soil. It takes away all the nutrients in the soil that it touches (sterilizes it). Salt is one of the worst, yes it kills weeds, but only takes a tsp to a tbsp. to raise the salinity of five gallons of water. When you raise the salinity it is raised for good and never goes away. It is affecting streams, rivers, and fresh water lakes by raising the salinity and causes problems now with the flora and fauna that need these bodies of water to survive. Some cities even have problems with high salinity in their drinking water now. Sorry about the soap box, but organic can be good, but it can also be harmful, too, so everyone needs to be aware of the problems being caused.