How do I get rid of ground squirrels?

+2
  • Ann Ann on Aug 28, 2018

you need to get a trap-bait it with some peanut butter-transport the caught squirrel 2 miles from your house!!! then release-they can remember where you live!! traps are available in hardware stores and probably Home Depot or Lowe's

• Betsy Betsy on Aug 29, 2018

Hi Ras: You can't:( You can just make your yard not squirrel friendly. If you feed the birds, have some non-squirrel friendly feeders. Unless you have a license to trap and release wildlife, I don't think I'd try that. Check with your city or local animal control to see if you need a license. Like Sea Gulls, when you see one, there are hundreds more watching you:) Good luck, and try to enjoy their antics, they're pretty cute - unless they are eating your house:)

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Aug 29, 2018

If they are in your house, you can put mothballs out and it will drive them out. Traps as suggested above if you are trying to get them off your property. Remember to relocate in a squirrel friendly environment. You might want to contact the department of agriculture if it's a big problem.

• Lisa Sinclair Lisa Sinclair on Aug 29, 2018

I used mothballs to get them out of my garden, just put a few down their holes , it'll drive them out,without killing them.

• Kc Kc on Dec 11, 2018

You could try the harrassment approach. Get a small terrier dog that loves chasing squirrels...but pooch may love digging as well. You could also get a good mouser cat...but they will go after birds too so you may have to make changes in your yard. (I raised the bird baths and feeders about 5ft....out of my kittie's leaping range).

I don't think my kittie has killed any ground squirrels but she patrols constantly and has kept them from taking up residence close to the house.