How do I get rid of pantry moth?

+4
  • Sarah Sota Sarah Sota on Feb 10, 2018
    check boxes and bags of grain based foods, you will see little webs around the inside tops. Vacuum shelves and especially cracks. Washing just pushes eggs into crevices.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Feb 10, 2018
    empty out the entire pantry, wash it with white vinegar and place pantry moth traps inside

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Feb 10, 2018
    Hi Jozirosati,
    Try putting bay leaves on several shelves, depending on how large your pantry is. Also make sure that everything you are storing is in tight containers. I once found them in a bag of flour. I got rid of the flour and ordered good air-tight plastic containers for all dry goods. I have discovered that it's legal to have a certain percentage of "bug parts" (like moth eggs) in things like flour & spices. :( Now I put anything that comes in a box into air-tight container. If something I buy develops bugs, I can prevent them from spreading because of the containers. BTW, you can also store things like flour in the refrigerator to prevent them from growing into bugs. I know it sounds gross, but it's a fact of life and has apparently been like this for a very long time. Wishing you the best.

• Brenda Brenda on Feb 10, 2018
    Throw away any paper bags. You will find them & eggs all inside them & vacuum.check cornmeal, etc. May have to replace some food items.i keep meal,flour in my freezer.

• DesertRose DesertRose on Feb 10, 2018
    Pantry moths come in cardboard containers like cereal or pasta boxes. You have to open the boxes to locate the egg containers usually in a top or bottom of the box in a fiberous web looking sac. Totally clean out your pantry, spray it with a non-toxic disinfectant like Simple Green and start by putting pasta, cereal etc in closed containers as soon as you bring them home and throw out the boxes.

• Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Nov 26, 2021

Ugh, I hate those little things. They're so difficult to get rid of. The best advice I can give is to check all your foodstuff and get rid of any that may be housing those critters. Pantry moth larvae are between ¼ and ½ inches long and you'll see the food moving. Rinse, disinfect and then thoroughly wash reusable food storage containers in hot soapy water. Vacuum your pantry top to bottom. Don't forget the cupboard corners and under the shelves. Make sure to empty the vacuum outside. Wash the shelves down with watered-down bleach. You can buy pantry moth traps to help keep them away after doing the deep clean.