Is there anything that will deter slugs w/out harming or killing them?

+6
  • Nichole Eubanks Nichole Eubanks on Jun 20, 2017
    Dog anti bite spray spray your yard with it

• KattywhampusLOL KattywhampusLOL on Jun 20, 2017
    Ground eggshells, or diamtomaceous earth placed around the plant will deter snails and slugs because it cuts up their bellies if they crawl over it .. cruel, I know, but you can't be kind and expect them to stay away. If you don't have those things on had (I don't know if you are a vegan or not, or just happen to have a container diatomaceous earth laying around your house -- as most of us do not -- ) then you can use sandpaper wrapped around the base of the stem (and taped or glued into place) or weighted down somehow at the base of the plant. It will work the same way as the eggshells. ORRR Hey how about copper?! Yeah! some copper tubing and flat metal because it reacts with the slime they have on them and gives them an electric shock -- no cut up bellies to feel guilty about ;) I think I'll give THAT a try too :) as soon as I find out how they are getting into my basement! ewwww

• EJ Laux EJ Laux on Jun 20, 2017
    I spray the leaves with a strong mint spray I purchased called Rodent Sherriff at Wal-Mart, but, one might call there and/or your local garden store to check if they have it in stock. It hasn't totally kept all at bay,but has slowed destruction from a lot of critters. It' s an idea at least.

• Bra22063965 Bra22063965 on Jul 02, 2017
      I had not the slightest idea there was a product such as that and I surely be purchasing it! That will save me the hassle of planting peppermint plants around perimeter of our yard to deter the occasional mouse.( We have several neighbor's who keep [lots of] chickens on our block and naturally, they attract mice and other critters.) This is fantastic news to me seeing as I can knock out two birds with one stone! I don't particularly mind a slug or two here and there, but there seems to be an excessive amount of them this year. It is like playing a game of Hop-Scotch & Don't Step on the Crack just to walk 20 ft. from the car to the house...and witnessing this, Im sure the neighbors think I have gone and lost my mind! Thank you Very Much for posting your advice!

• Diane Diane on Jun 20, 2017
    You can place crushed egg shells around the base of your plants.

• Tee Bone Tee Bone on Jun 20, 2017
    Beer. A great use for leftover flat beer.

• Doris Doris on Jun 20, 2017
    I've used both the beer and egg shells. I found the egg shells to work best to deter slugs. The beer just ended up attracting mosquitoes

• Bra22063965 Bra22063965 on Jun 20, 2017
      Yikes on the mosquitoes! Ok will be trying the egg shells though! Thank you!

Thank you everyone, Very Much, for ya'lls advice! I most certainly will be trying out each one! I appreciate it greatly!