Does anyone have any ideas about some kind of border?

+5

I need something at the base of my small (white siding,brown roof) ranch house. It has no basement so it meets at the bottom with the cement patio and sidewalk. It's mainly the front that bothers me,the sides and back have ground so I've done some mulch and planting. Inside I look at walls that meet with a nice baseboard at the bottom(where the walls meet the floor) I would like it to be a DIY project if possible. I love this "Hometalk," Thanks!

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jul 14, 2018

How wide is the sidewalk? Would you have room at the house line to put some potted plants? If not, how about planting on the other side of the sidewalk. You don't say what the lighting conditions are in the front yard, if it is shady, perhaps hostas along the sidewalk. They are hard and require little care once they are established and are drought tolerant once they have established their roots. I water them a lot the first season at least, two if it is a dry hot summer. I planted spring bulbs on the far side of my hostas for some extra color in the spring while waiting for the hostess to come up and that works really well since the trees haven't leafed out yet and the bulbs get plenty of sun.

• Deb8588872 Deb8588872 on Jul 14, 2018
      Thank you for the info but that's not what I'm looking for. Do you know how at the bottom of a wall you have a base board that hides the space between the wall and floor? I'm looking for something similar for the exterior of my house. Where the outside wall(the siding)meets the cement walk and patio. Plants would not work. Needs to be something that fits flush to the wall,like 4 to 6 inches high.

• Betsy Betsy on Jul 14, 2018
    Hi Deb: Here's a site I found that might help you. https://www.homedepot.com/s/patio%2520edging?NCNI-5

You can stand the stones upright instead of laying them down. There are a lot of neat designs, this site doesn't show them, but they have the ones that are scalloped at the top and are really cute, and they come in a couple of different colours.

• Betsy Betsy on Jul 16, 2018

Great! If you need to, you can use a bit of cement on the sides and/or bottom to sort of 'glue' them to your house to keep them from falling over.

• Betsy Betsy on Jul 16, 2018

Great, happy to help. And you can add a bit of cement to the back edges or the bottoms, to sort of 'glue' them to the house or walk to keep them from falling over.

• You33805225 You33805225 on Jul 16, 2018

I'm going with Betsy, they make a fake brick if u want something that is easier to work with. I have seen it on fireplaces. I would just make sure u use the right adhesive for the outside. We used a basic cement to fix a rock wall and it's all falling apart, so I'm sure there is adhesives that r made for outside only.

Good luck, Cheryl