Outdoor tile for Midwest area?

+2
My husband wants to tile our old concrete patio and concrete stairs that are crumbling (to seal them in), but I've heard contractors advise against it in colder climate areas. I'll take advise and/or opinions.

• Liz Liz on Dec 27, 2017
    Depending on the condition of the crumbling the reparation may vary is it just the patio? or is it the stairs where you step? Do you apply rock salt or magnesium chloride?

• Ken Ken on Dec 27, 2017
    Some kinds of tile absorb water and those are definitely out. A porcelain tile would work outdoors.

Contractors are correct. Bad concrete will continue to deteriorate, sealed in or not, and in a year or two all of the tile work will have been for nothing.

• M. M.. M. M.. on Dec 27, 2017
    Stairs and floors that are crumbling are not safe to apply tile on top of. You'll have problems down the road with tiles cracking and along the grout lines.Tiles on stairs are a real slipping hazard.

• Lisa Lisa on Dec 27, 2017
    Do not use slate in cold climates as it flakes apart naturally and when water gets in the slate it caused the flaking to accelerate when it freezes.

• Hillela G. Hillela G. on Dec 28, 2017
    It sounds as though the first thing to is to redo the crumbly concrete before applying new tiles- its annoying, but it will make a huge difference- you got this!!