Can chalk paint cover a stained piece of furniture without stripping?

+3
  • Ann Cherkas Halstead Ann Cherkas Halstead on Jan 05, 2018
    as long as you seal it it should last

• Beverly Beverly on Jan 05, 2018
    We have successfully used chalk paint over oak, walnut , birch without primimg first.........and many other surfaces such as leather, brass, vinyl, laminate.

• Reg28767354 Reg28767354 on Jan 05, 2018
    yes,it can but I used orange glow on some of my furniture and the oils wanted to seep thro.....

• DesertRose DesertRose on Jan 05, 2018
    Apply the same preparation rules to chalk paint as you do any painting project. You might sand it up just a bit to help the paint to adhere, wipe it clean with a wet cloth, and then begin.

• Cindy Hagemann Cindy Hagemann on Jan 06, 2018
    Yes, you can lightly sand the piece by hand, clean it, and paint with chalk paint. If it is an older piece, you might want to paint with Kilz primer first - sometimes the oil based stain will come through.

• EmmaSurf EmmaSurf on Jan 07, 2018
    It might, depending on the type of stain, but personally, I'd use Binz/Kilz or some other stain blocking primer first. There is a water based one that dries quicklyl, and it covers up just about anything. I used chalk paint on an unfinished pine chest, and about a month later I could see the knots starting to show (apparently pine resin will show even if it's decades old). I wish I'd primed it first since now it's 2x the time and 2x the cost to redo