Covering formica

I have formica counter tops and the formica is also on the walls up to the bottom of the cabinets. I can live with the counter tops but I really dislike the back splash in formica. Is there anyway to put something over the formica without having to pull it off. Any suggestions.
Thanks for any ideas .

  3 answers
  • William William on Dec 23, 2017
    You can put anything over it based on your stile. Self stick tiles, mosaic tile, tin ceiling panels, fake tin panels, contact paper, etc. If you do tile just make shre you use tile mastic and not thinset. Thinset will not stick to formica.

    • Maggie Maggie on Dec 23, 2017
      If I use mastic do I have to rough up the formica and will grout hold on the shiny, slick surface of formica. Thanks for the information.

  • Pat Pat on Dec 23, 2017
    Does your formica go up at an angle or is there a piece of quarter round under it so that it slopes up? If the formica does up at an angle, then yes, you can either take the back splash formica off OR put whatever you want over the formica. Might check with one of the big box stores and they can tell you what you need. Even just painting the formica back splash may be what you want.

  • William William on Dec 23, 2017
    Just lightly sand to remove the shine. The grout will hold.