How do I fix a dresser?

+8

I'm refurbishing a bedroom dresser. It needs a new top. Any suggestions?

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Mar 03, 2021

Hello. Can you post a picture to give us a better idea of what your dressers refurb needs are. If you’re looking to chalk paint here is the gallery of my favorite bloggers furniture transformations.

Please consider popping by this website for her wonderful furniture rehabs. She details useful repair products, techniques and has a nice result. In addition to trays and accessories many of her furniture items are from the thrift store or furniture pieces donated to her.

https://www.confessionsofaserialdiyer.com/diy-gallery/

• See 1 previous
    • Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Mar 04, 2021

I know there’s a lot of projects in her gallery to view but I do believe with the dressers or chest if the veneer is peeling she has ripped it completely off. Sanding can do wonders too.

I hope you find your perfect solution for your rehab furniture project.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Mar 04, 2021

I'm guessing the wood isn't salvageable. You can cut a piece of wood from shelving board, but that might be too thick.

I have seen tiled tops on furniture.

If you find a piece of scrap countertop like quartz or other material (like where someone is replacing theirs) you could have it cut to fit.

If the wood doesn't need replacing, you can strip it and paint it even if the rest of the furniture is stained. If it is veneer and beginning to peel, you can remove the layer and then finish the wood underneath.

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on Mar 04, 2021

you could use reclaimed wood, stone, metal, or buy a top from a DIY store that sells wood, tops etc

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/35677022034399701/

• Mogie Mogie on Mar 04, 2021

Depends if you have wood furniture. What style is your bedroom? Any specific colors?

• You can buy a piece of wood at your local home improvement store and have it cut to size or get creative with other materials. Your options are generally pretty limitless.

• Betsy Betsy on Mar 05, 2021

Hi Annmarie: A quick fix would be a piece of acrylic like plexiglass, to fit over the top. You could put pictures under it if the top is in need of repair:) This would hide the scratched top. You can sand the edges with sand paper or a sanding sponge and it should do the trick:)

• If, the wood top is still there, you could decoupage paper or fabric to it. Another idea is to create a mosaic with old dishes for the top.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Mar 17, 2021

As a temporary solution to an unsightly dresser top, I would suggest using an attractive fabric runner.