How to fill in grooves/lines in my table?

+3

Hi, any advice would be appreciated. I've had this table for a while and although I love the dark wood and the functionality for our party of 5, I am not a fan of the decorative grooves/lines. Any ideas on how to fill them in to create a flat surface. I've checked out youtube and saw some resin filler vids but I'm not sure if that's the best way to go. I've also tossed around the idea of buying a glass table topper or even plexiglass. Thanks for your help!

q how to fill in grooves lines in my table
  • Annie Annie on Feb 01, 2019

Filling in all those grooves would be quite a task involving wood filler, sanding and stain. I’d go for glass over it if it bothers you that much. Forget about plexiglass...it will scratch and cloud over in no time. How about buying some high quality table linens (cotton or linen) to cover it.

• Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Feb 01, 2019

Hi there, personally I would go for a tempered glass top. It's easy to clean and you'll still get to enjoy that beautiful wood

• Landsharkinnc Landsharkinnc on Feb 01, 2019

I think your best bet would be a glass cover; a glass shop can cut/bevel edges for you and apply the little vinyl tabs on the corners that keep it from slipping. Won't be cheap, but won't ruin your table ! just be sure to use trivets under your serving dishes

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Feb 01, 2019

You can attach a new piece of wood for the table top. I think that would be your best bet if you want to stay with wood.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Feb 01, 2019

I agree with the tampered glass for the top, put little bumpers on the glass so that it will hold it a fraction above the wood. You could put an attractive table runner under the glass to hide some of the lines and it won't be so noticeable. I agree also, plexiglass would not hold up for long before it got scratched or discolored. You could use a wood cover, but I don't think it will look as nice as the tempered glass will.