How to paint a kitchen table?

+3

I have an old kitchen table with a Formica top that I want to paint. Do I have to sand the top first or can I just prime it first?

Thank you,

Janet

• Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Feb 02, 2019

You reallt don't sand laminate. There are,paint kits for laminate,sold at Home Depot and step by step instructions are in the kit. Regular paint and primer will chip and scratch off.

• Lifestyles Homes Lifestyles Homes on Feb 02, 2019

To Kelli’s point, buy a laminate painting kit. They can tint them any color. If you need two quarts, I’d do a two tone sponge application.

I would make sure it’s absolutely clean and yes, I would lightly sand it, with fine grit and wipe clean again.

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Feb 02, 2019

Hi Janet,

Over the time I've been answering questions here on Hometalk, I've seen this question asked many times. Each time I would look for someone who actually did this. What I found was that there were different tips in different articles. I gathered all of those tips that I found into one place. Here's the result:

You can use latex paint on a table. Start by cleaning the table with a very good degreaser or TSP. Let that dry then use a sandpaper block with a medium grit to buff up the surface of the table so that the paint will stick. Try to go in one direction, back & forth is okay but not sideways too. Once you have the table sanded, clean it thoroughly with a tack cloth to remove all dust.

Now you can start painting. Start with a primer. You can use a foam roller to help get smooth results. When the primer is dry, sand it again with a high number sandpaper, then again clean with tack cloth.

Next you can start your color paint or use a sponging technique if you want. If you use plain paint, you'll need to repeat the sanding/tack cloth process between each coat of paint. When you're happy with the paint let it dry, then sand/tack cloth again.

Now your ready to seal the paint. There are several sealer finished you can use. One would be Marine varnish - used on boats. Another would be an polycrylic sealer. For a great surface you'll want to do 2-3 coats. Remember to lightly sand with a high number sandpaper and use a tack cloth between coats. You can use 0000 steel wool instead of sandpaper if you want. Just remember the tack cloth. Be sure to let each coat dry between coats.

At this point, you'll want to let your table sealer finish curing. Look on the label to see how long that will take. Don't use the table until the time is up. If you follow the steps, you should end up with a beautiful table. Wishing you the best.

• William William on Feb 02, 2019

You DO need to scuff up the surface with either 200 grit sandpaper or a green kitchen scrubby for paint.

• Hi Janet! I can tell you how to paint your furniture with Dixie Belle Chalk Mineral Paint :)

It is super easy to paint with Dixie Belle.

Step one: Clean with White Lightning

Step two: If you're concerned with bleed through apply two coats of BOSS

Step three: Paint one to two coats of Dixie Belle Chalk Mineral Paint

Step four (optional): Use any of our clear coats or waxes for extra protection or a different style finish

No sanding required!

Here's a link to a tutorial on how to paint furniture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTR0uNvAMs4&t=8s

If you ever need help or have any questions you can feel free to call us at 813-909-1962 during business hours. We have a full staff here eager to help you!

We have an awesome group on FB that gives you all kinds of help if you are interested. click here to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/FriendsWhoLikeDixieBellePaint/