Any suggestions for Refinishing an Antique trunk inside?

+5
I got this antique trunk this past weekend. It is lined with 3 layers of wallpapers and masking tape. Was use to seal the cracks. Any suggestions on how to remove it and refinish it . Thanks....
q refinishing a antique trunk inside
q refinishing a antique trunk inside
q refinishing a antique trunk inside
  • Eva DuSablon Finfrock Eva DuSablon Finfrock on Jun 13, 2017
    You can remove the tape and wall paper with Fabric softener. Pull as much paper off as you can. Mix water and fabric softener, about 3/4 water to 1/4 fabrick softener, in a spray bottle. Spray the tape and wall paper with the mixture. let it sit for a min or two and than you can scrape it off with a spatula or a paint scraper.

After that you can either paint, wallpaper, or line with fabric

• Nan Nan on Jun 13, 2017
    I love the trunk, try finishing it in the campaign style, bet it would look fantastic.

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Jun 13, 2017
    I scraped the old wallpaper out of mine using wallpaper remover and scrapers. Wash it out after, to remove residue. Dry thoroughly. I painted it inside and then modpodged fabric in it. You could add quilted material or just leave it painted or refinished.

• Jules Jules on Jun 13, 2017
    And use "Goof Off" to remove masking tape.

• Cori Widen Cori Widen on Jun 13, 2017
    Just wanted to say: amazing find! That is gorgeous!

• Laura Weidert Laura Weidert on Jun 14, 2017
    Do you have any history on its age or origins? It looks Scandinavian to me. Because it's an antique, I would be very careful to do your removal in small sections and a layer at a time. From your pictures I can see the original maker's mark paper in the lid as well as the Scandinavian trim around the perimeter of the lid. If you can maintain any of that, your value of the piece increases.

After you've removed the layers you want gone, I would use something like a Murphy's Oil soap, very carefully to remove any residue. If you like the general looks of the interior once all has dried, you could easily oil the wood of the interior as well as exterior with lemon or orange oil.

• John pyles John pyles on Jun 14, 2017
    Wall paper remover, or goo b gone

• Ty all for your input. I'm not sure of the age. I got this at second hand store. I will look into the history of the trunk..