Deck- Old paint , off , new stain on ? How?

+4

• You'll have to strip it. Use citristrip and do it in sections. Citristrip won't harm any of your landscaping

• Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Jun 02, 2018
    I would not use a liquid paint remover on a deck because the chemicals will sink into the deck wood and may effect the stain you apply. Sweep/power wash the deck. Sand the whole deck to get off the paint and smooth any roughness time has caused. Choose a good brand of deck stain, and understand that the color may be different, depending on the wood already in place. Use a deck stain that is self-sealing, or apply a sealer that is water-resistant, probably more than one layer. Also seal between the boards if there are any gaps. If you can get underneath the deck, seal under the deck, too. I bet your deck will be stunning when you finish. Please take lots of photos, and Post the story on Hometalk. Best wishes ☺️

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jun 02, 2018
    Use Paint stripper if Paint with Brush and Scraper. Brush or spray on new stain.

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on Jun 02, 2018
    homeguides.sfgate.com › Home › Home Improvement › Home Painting

Old deck paint will occasionally come off with a scraper and a strong blast of water, ... but a chemical stripper often is necessary to remove all of the stubborn paint ... and fill gouges or holes with exterior wood filler prior to painting or staining.

... coat of paint, you'll have to remove all of the chipped, peeling and weathered old paint to wipe the ... ... As the paint stripper does its work, the paint will start to lift or bubble up. ... Repeat Steps 3 to 5 untilyou have removed all of the paint from the deck. Wait at least 48 hours before staining and sealing orpainting the deck.

Adpaint.sherwin-williams.com/SuperDeck/Deck-Paint‎
    Rating for sherwin-williams.com: 5.0 - 333 reviews
    Easy to Apply, Fast Drying Times & Long-Lasting Results. Find a Store Near You! Easy Stain Application. Fast Drying Times. Long-Lasting Performance. Beautiful Results.
    Deal: 30% off Paints & Stains · Valid May 25 - Jun 4

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Jun 02, 2018
    We had to manually use a palm sander and power wash to get our patchy poorly applied ( handyman) finish off, then recoat the deck with the same color stain— at our previous residence.

• Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Jun 02, 2018
    A lot of sanding, power washing and cleaning is the only way to remove any old paint on a deck and even at that you may not be able to get it all off. If you decide to re-stain do not use a latex paint with the primer as it will not stick and will eventually peel. The pros at "This Old House" recommend a semi transparent stain.

• Betsy Betsy on Jun 02, 2018
    I just redid a bench that had paint and stain that peeled up and was cracked, and being sort of on the lazy side, and necessity being the mother of invention, I just didn't want to do all of that hand sanding. What I used, and it worked wonderfully, was one of those things that you clean your bar-b-que grate with. It looks like a really big tooth brush and has metal teeth and a wooden handle. I just brushed my wood and the majority of the paint came off along with the flakes. Oh, by the by, I heard these brushes are not really good for cleaning the bar-b-que grate as sometimes the little metal things detach and stick to the grate and if you don't see them and put food on them, you can accidentally ingest them. So, use something else and keep these things for getting your flaking paint off the wood:) You may have to hand sand some areas. Be sure that all of the dust and debris is removed before staining and that it isn't going to rain for at least 48 hours. Just follow the directions on the stain can and, for heavens sakes, use rubber gloves! Don't ask:(