Remove black stain to redo with chalk paint

+2
Can anyone tell me what do I need to do to remove or chalk paint over black stain? I’ve seen so many videos how to.. but confusing. Should I sand it off or is there anything else I need to do?

Ready set go...

• Sharon Sharon on Dec 18, 2017
    You don't have to remove stain to paint, you can simply use a primer that is stain-blocking like Kilz or Zinseer. Then paint.

• Marion Nesbitt Marion Nesbitt on Dec 18, 2017
    There is a super hider paint used to restore wood when there has been a fire. Think it is oil based and made by Zinzer. A couple of coats of this should seal it.

• Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Dec 18, 2017
    Stain seeps into the wood, so trying to sand it is almost futile, since the stain may be in deeply. Kilz is a great blocker, and Rustoleum makes one, also. If you are going from black to white you might also want to use a white primer before you do the permanant paint. Then chalk paint or most other paints will cover the stains. Best wishes 😇

• Shoshana Shoshana on Dec 19, 2017
    Since it's chalk paint, you can most likely just paint over the stain. I'd apply a layer of shellac first though so that the stain doesn't bleed through.