Can polyurethane be applied to laminate flooring?

+2
  • William William on Feb 02, 2019

There is already a factory finish on the laminate. Polyurethane would not stick. A lot of laminate floors have just enough surface material for one sanding for refinishing. Refer to the manufacturers recommendation.

• Terri Terri on Feb 02, 2019

You cannot sand plastic laminate floors. It is the same material that is on your countertop. Plastic. If it is real wood sometimes you can sand. Not all real wood laminates can be sanded at all. If you have scratches I suggest a sharpie or wood marker to cover it. You need to find out what the type of flooring it is. Manufacturer would help also. If the finish is scratched off, try poly by hand and see what happens. It may or may not stick.

• Morgan McBride Morgan McBride on Feb 04, 2019

I would not recommend it.

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Feb 04, 2019

I wouldn’t it will peel off

• Laura Cooper Laura Cooper on Feb 04, 2019

No you cannot. There are several basic types of wood-look flooring. Hardwood is solid wood all the way through and this can be sanded and refinished. Engineered hardwood has a top veneer which is wood and can be sanded and refinished twice. Laminate is basically a paper type material with a plastic finish. It cannot be sanded. There there is tile or vinyl that look like wood. These are treated as either tile or vinyl.