MUSHROOMS

+11
Answered
RECENTLY I HAVE NOTICED AND FOUND LARGE MUSHROOMS IN MY GARDEN....WHY IS THIS? NOT TOO FAMILIAR WITH THIS....THIS HAS ME PUZZLED? IM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG.
mushrooms, gardening
  12 answers
  • Sheryl S Sheryl S on Oct 03, 2013
    Same thing happening to me. I'll be watching for an answer. Good Luck !!

  • the simplest answer: mushrooms grow from decaying wood and other organic materials. Just pick them out and throw or compost them.

  • Luis Luis on Oct 03, 2013
    Mushrooms require water to thrive and survive best in excess water. Pooling water, water-rotted wood and severely wet soil can all lead to an increase in the population of mushrooms. Mushrooms have no outer skin, so they can lose water very rapidly, which is why they only come out in wet weather and why they thrive in damp conditions.

  • Carole Carole on Oct 03, 2013
    It always worries me when people refer to 'mushrooms' growing in their gardens or garden pots rather than toadstools. The difference of course being that mushrooms are edible whereas what you are finding growing in your garden is toadstools and these are poisonous and should not be eaten. Having said that, the reasons are usually too much water. Poor drainage, heavy and consistent rains, overwatering are all contributors to toadstools growing. They spring up all over the place after consistent and heavy rains. They are a fungi and so they will grow where the soil is very moist and suits their needs. If you have put mushroom compost on your garden, there is a danger that you may get mushrooms growing, but either way - please don't attempt to eat them. You will probably note that if you have a period of dry weather - these toadstools will die off of their own accord. Should you be inclined to pick them or dig them, please dispose of them safely. In general, you have nothing to worry about provided you recognise them for what they are and don't try to consume them.

  • Ivylore Ivylore on Oct 03, 2013
    I find mushrooms in my flower garden after we've had lots of rainy days- so, they definitely enjoy wet soil as Luis mentioned.

  • The exact thing is happening in my raised vegetable bed where I have my tomatoes and peppers. It bothers me because I am afraid to eat anything out of there or to work around it due to spores. I have Lyme disease, Lupus and MS and I am highly susceptible to mold toxicity. I know this is mostly a problem in houses but we haven't even had too much rain and I have these big toadstool things growing in the bed.

    • See 1 previous
    • Patricia W Patricia W on Oct 03, 2013
      @Amber Lyon Ferguson Please just wash your veggies as usual, if you are concerned please wear a dust mask, or better yet, a chemical grade mask. You van put your veggies in a colander outdoors and rinse them with a hose or bring water from outside. A bit a vinegar in a gallon jug can help remove impurities.

  • Patricia W Patricia W on Oct 03, 2013
    We are getting them in our yard. Mushrooms need 2 things, water and shade. Our state was just hammered with rains, I imagine that most people with lawns are getting them. We just make sure that we dig them from the roots up, leave nothing for them to re grow.

  • More than likely the mulch under this shrub is too thick. Combined with lots of rain which would help that mulch to compost, you are likely to see molds and mushrooms.

  • Tammy Goodyear Tammy Goodyear on Oct 05, 2013
    Mushrooms are a natural occurrence anytime there is decay and moisture. This is nature doing it's job - breaking down organic matter which will add valuable nutrition for your plants.

  • Marilee H Marilee H on Oct 05, 2013
    A large variety of fungi (better than mushrooms, I think) comes up in my yard if it is wet long enough. The main structures live underground all the time, and the right conditions bring out the visible parts, which produce spoors.

  • Gerry H Gerry H on Oct 05, 2013
    I had a tree taken out of my yard near the stone driveway and left some roots buried underground. Two years later I was overrun with mushrooms. It was definitely creepy but I just kept taking them out and eventually they stopped growing. The rotting woody roots were the problem.

  • Darlene T Darlene T on Oct 05, 2013
    Carole, this is from WiseGeek: Many people have incorrect ideas about the differences between toadstools and mushrooms, and this can get them into a great deal of trouble if they’re amateur mushroom hunters. Some think that the main difference is that toadstools are all poisonous versions of mushrooms, while mushrooms are not poisonous. This is incorrect, however, and can cause serious problems for a mushroom hunter. In reality, there is no real scientific difference between toadstools and mushrooms, and the names are basically interchangeable. Don't mean to correct you, but when I saw your post, it didn't seem right, and I didn't want anyone making any mistakes about what is and what is not a mushroom. I have been very curious about wild "edible" mushrooms... but so far I have not CHANCED eating any... I would really like to take a "Hands On" class with someone local, but haven't found anyone so far. I think "wild edibles" are fascinating... because if you think about it, everything was WILD at one point in history!